MDesigns

SC2 contour cutting troubles

Well I thought I had this working correctly because the last time I attempted it with success.  Now Im running into an issue where it seems like the machine is lost in space. Normally after I navigate to the first registration point and hit enter the machine would move ONLY horizontally to almost the 2nd registration mark, and then the same with the 3rd.

Now it moves over and up. when I attempt the same process. Knowing this is seems odd I finish the process of finding all 3 registration marks. Here is a picture of the result I get.  The instructions in the manual are only for Vinyl master PRO. We work on Macs so were limited to SCALP. But I have made this work before.

Things tried

Calibrated the laser several times

Verified that per the manual the reset button clears any stored orgins.

Hopefully someone with a SC2 can chime in with some helpful hints

65479057542__05FA1F06-CC99-41D0-B215-9D343813EFAA.jpg

There are instructions here for SCALP.  At UScutter Support. Not your version, but it should be close.  Scroll down the page.  Sure Cuts A Lot 3.  Value cutters will operate best on a serial connection or a Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter.  That is the brand name. A much better connection. Value cutters have a cheap Chinese chipset, not True USB like higher end cutters. 

https://support.uscutter.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037540812-SC2-contour-cutting-calibration-and-steps-for-software

Seeing as Ive had success with this in the past and reviewed all of the referenced items I have to assume there is something going on in terms of offset and calibration when setting the machine.

Thinking about this more Its possible that I had sucess in the older version of SCALP 4. We have since upgraded. Im going to attempt in V4.

Craftedge has a forum for their software.  Most of us older volunteers, do not use SCALP software.  So we can't help you, unless a SCALP user shows up. 

At some pt we may move to a Roland or better cutter. However I have found the issue lies in SCALP 5. I reverted back to SCALP 4 and has no issue contour cutting. Same design and the cutter gets lost in SCALP 5. You would think when you upgrade a software you would get less issues not more! I have reached out to them to get a response.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MDesigns said:

At some pt we may move to a Roland or better cutter. However I have found the issue lies in SCALP 5. I reverted back to SCALP 4 and has no issue contour cutting. Same design and the cutter gets lost in SCALP 5. You would think when you upgrade a software you would get less issues not more! I have reached out to them to get a response.

Thank you for posting your results, even though it wasn't quite what you were expecting. If you have the time, I would recommend that you reach out to the SCALP people and let them know the issues you ran into. They can't fix what they don't know is broken.

I did share the issue with the Craftedge team. I guess while Im at it is there anyone here who has good success with contour cutting in general? I was able to cut the design we were after. I did find cutting the SIser easy Subli a little challenging on the mat. It seems the material is kinda tuff. So I bumped the preassure up and almost ran thru the backing. Which is not good when you go to apply the subli mask. Overall we got things pretty close. I cant help but wonder if a 60 degree blade is best with the Siser Easy Subli? If you ever cut it you might get what Im saying..

Be sure you have your blade depth correct. Shouldn't matter what pressure you are running it if the blade depth is set correctly you will not cut the backing. MZ Skeeter has posted hundreds of times how to set the blade depth and I believe it's a sticky under Instructional Contributions.