Sign in to follow this  
bjm6469

Using SG-300 to cut Vinyl Transfer Stickers

Hello there, this will be my first post here. I have access to a Roland SG-300 Printer/cutter. I frequently use it to print and cut roland calendared vinyl material, but I was curious if I can use it to cut the same material as what a Roland DG GS-24 Vinyl cutter can. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Roland has a website for their cutters. Go look up the specs for what  each will cut. 

Their website makes no mention of specific materials, only thicknesses for the cutter. Is this all I need to look at when comparing compatibility between the two?

Any vinyl cutter will cut calendered vinyl. Most is 2.5-3 mil. Cast is 2 mil.    Sign vinyl is pretty thin.  What are you cutting?   You can also go to any vinyl supplier and see the thickness of any vinyl. All specs are out there to do your home work. 

52 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Any vinyl cutter will cut calendered vinyl. Most is 2.5-3 mil. Cast is 2 mil.    Sign vinyl is pretty thin.  What are you cutting?   You can also go to any vinyl supplier and see the thickness of any vinyl. All specs are out there to do your home work. 

I was looking at materials such as Oracal 651, 751, 951, etc. So from what I am understanding, I should be able to cut these materials without printing on the SG-300?

You should be able to also go to the Roland site and read the user manual for this cutter.  As well as the user manual for the cutting software.   Most volunteers here own UScutter vinyl cutters or Graphtec cutters.   Roland has a forum, 

1 hour ago, bjm6469 said:

I was looking at materials such as Oracal 651, 751, 951, etc. So from what I am understanding, I should be able to cut these materials without printing on the SG-300?

it will cut regular vinyl fine - but I never used my roland printers for cutting other than contour cutting because my thinking was why put that wear and tear on the expensive machine - I always kept a graphtec for my vinyl cutting part of the business - until I sold the printers 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

it will cut regular vinyl fine - but I never used my roland printers for cutting other than contour cutting because my thinking was why put that wear and tear on the expensive machine - I always kept a graphtec for my vinyl cutting part of the business - until I sold the printers 

I pay a flat monthly rate for use of a shop with a magnitude of tools. Welders, plasma cutters, 3d printers, cnc machines, and this SG-300. They cover the cost of replacement of parts ;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bjm6469 said:

I pay a flat monthly rate for use of a shop with a magnitude of tools. Welders, plasma cutters, 3d printers, cnc machines, and this SG-300. They cover the cost of replacement of parts ;)

By all means then, do what you do and let them worry about taking care of their equipment :wacko:

• Like 2