EpicDecal

Sure Cuts Alot Pro 3 makes wonky cuts

So my cutter just stops working perfectly. One day it is perfect, the next, it's screwing up all my cuts; please see image.

I contact SCALPro and they say, adjust the things. Make a box, and tell us how bad it cuts. So I pass them this, and get no response. 
This was just before July 4 and I wasn't able to make stuff for the kids for Independence Day--or work on any job for the past 2 months.

I contact USCutter and did not even get a response from support. Nada.

Any thoughts?

-e

PS: I never user anything in SCAL... can I go straight from AI and avoid this software?

sc-3.jpg

It all starts with having the correct blade depth.  That is where you start.  Too many wrong instructions out there that just won't go away.  Do not use a credit card or post it notes to set your blade depth. It is way too much blade exposed.  Use the TEST feature on your vinyl cutter. That TEST cut should be right, before you go sending designs.   Blade offset starts at 0.25mm.  Then go 0.05 plus or minus and see what looks good. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade.   When you think the blade tip is so far in the blade holder that you wouldn't think it would cut, It is probably about right. 

Illustrator does not have a way to set blade offset or blade overcut, which you need on a value cutter. 

Always make sure you have vinyl prefed to do the whole order. Never be pulling from a roll while cutting. 

• Like 2

with your work you show on your web site maybe think of moving up to a graphtec and get graphtec pro studio free - or use the plug in for AI with a graphtec - 
With that said if you did all the work shown on your web site and on here with a SC I am impressed.   read thru the scalp part of the forum - many people have had issues with it over the years - 

• Like 1

Hey Skeeter,
OK, so you were right, my blade depth was way off. 
Thank you—I corrected it, and cut this (see below).

I think it's data being sent and corrupted, not a physical issue with my cutter. 
Compare to the previous photo, above, in first post.

Thoughts?

scalp-20210828.jpg

If your blade was exposed too far out of your blade holder and you had been cutting a while, have you looked at your cutting strip for scratches and gouges?  If, so replace the cutting strip.  We don't know what you are using for settings in your cutting software.  

• Like 1

Cutting strip, do you mean this? (Please see arrow in photo, below.)

There are cuts here, but it's not really that deep.
So you're saying, this is causing the vinyl to grab and mess up my cuts—identically to last cut?

sc-20210828-1.jpg

You should not have cuts,gouges and scratches in your teflon cutting strip. It should be nice and smooth.  Yes, there. On most strips, you can clean off the adhesive and turn it over and reapply it with double stick tape.  

your cutting strip looks ready for replacement, or to be flipped. It doesn't take much damage to the cutting strip to make inconsistent cuts.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 12:03 AM, EpicDecal said:

So you're saying, this is causing the vinyl to grab and mess up my cuts—identically to last cut?

I suspect you have more wrong than just the cutting strip, but the cutting strip is not helping matters. Get that replaced and we'll go from there. I suspect you'll see an improvement, but it won't be perfect.

On 8/21/2021 at 1:52 PM, EpicDecal said:

So my cutter just stops working perfectly. One day it is perfect, the next, it's screwing up all my cuts; please see image.

I contact SCALPro and they say, adjust the things. Make a box, and tell us how bad it cuts. So I pass them this, and get no response. 
This was just before July 4 and I wasn't able to make stuff for the kids for Independence Day--or work on any job for the past 2 months.

I contact USCutter and did not even get a response from support. Nada.

Any thoughts?

-e

PS: I never user anything in SCAL... can I go straight from AI and avoid this software?

sc-3.jpg

Are you using a USB port to communicate with the cutter?

Have you checked your blade tip?  You may have it broken off.  Get your strip fixed, and a new blade in and start fresh. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 12:23 PM, EpicDecal said:

Yes USB

Try using a serial port instead of USB. I got to using serial port after stuffing up some expensive vinyl through USB port. You cutter might have a 9 pin RS232 oir some other port on to the side. Give this thing a go