RoundalCutter

MH721 & Graphics Software options

Hi all,

I have parked my MH721 for some time after failing to get Signblazer/MH721 drivers to work.  I really need to get off my back side and get this sorted.  What software alternatives (with similar capabilities to Signblazers) do I have that WOULD work with my MH721 please?  Or should I try again with Windows 10.  Thank you in advance.

Garry

Most any software will work, it's just a matter of getting the communications working between the computer and cutter. You're best bet is to use the serial port on the cutter and forget about the USB. If you do not have a serial port on your computer a Tripp-Lite Keyspan adapter will be needed. There are several adapters and they are not all created equal. Most do not work with the MH, the Keyspan is known to work and is the go to recommendation from everyone on these forums.

Once you get the adapter you simply setup the comm port and baud rate in your software to match the cutter and you'll be good to go. Signblaze is free and should work, although I don't know if anyone has tried running it on windows 10. If you want to stick with free, Inkscape can be made to cut although it's not a true cutting program and is missing several nice to have feature. Vinyl Master, not free, but a very good cutting program. You can get the cheaper version, Vinyl Master cut which has very limited design features, but it will cut and you can use other programs such as Inkscape to design with. This is typically what I do. I have a hire level of VM, but I rarely use it to design in because I learned to design with Inkscape first and VM does things differently and as a result it takes me longer in VM than Inkscape and I just haven't bothered to learn to do it in VM.

• Like 1

Howdy, stranger.  Yes, I have SBE running in Win10, no problem.

Download and install the latest SBE hybrid version (shows v.7.0 in the Help/About menu after install) HERE --->

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/signblazer_setup.exe

Then, choose RedSail as the cutter model.

Also, go into Windows Device Manager and verify your Port is 4 or less for the USB Com status (match it in SBE cutter setup screen).

If you need a USB-serial emulator driver, that's available for download :
http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Drivers/cdm20828_setup_windows.exe

Let us know how it turns out, Garry.

• Thanks 1

Ok, thank you to both of you.  I will try the Windows 10 route first - does it matter which Redsail cutter I use (options are RS360C, RS450C, RS720C, RS800C, RS1120C or RS1360C?

Garry

The different models just refer to the widths -- yours is the RS720C (24") --  you can always change the widths and lengths in the cutter setup screen (I set mine for 1999 inches long as standard, so it never 'tiles' when cutting longer vinyl segments)

If you need assistance with any other settings in that cutter setup dialogue, PM me and I may be able to answer about specific items.
However, most are self-explanatory ('advance after cutting'  etcetera...)

Here is a good tip ----  when first running SBE, you'll notice that the Workspace icon on the toolbar isn't accessible right within the first few items, so it's worthwhile to right-click into the toolbar and choose that avatar and drag it into the position right next to TEXT and SELECT, because it's one of the most used items and should be available up front (yeah, it's located in the FILE menu/Workspace Setup, but I prefer clicking on the icon rather than navigating into the drop-down File menu). Either way, that workspace dialogue is vital.

As you may have gathered, I'm a big fan of this old program created by Jerry Bonham (may he find solace in heaven). You know, when Jerry was alive, he used to participate in these Forums. The guy was amazing in what he offered to us newbies! He really got it, knowing that people would start with cutting, without knowing a 'node' from a hole in the wall, and tried to make things simple, even though it's actually very complicated stuff sometimes!

Good luck, you should be OK.

• Thanks 1

Slice&Dice,

That worked a treat with Windows 10 - thank you, I had tried reinstalling SignBlazer/drivers before with absolutely no luck.

I didn't know the story but SignBlazer's continued use is a a great tribute to Jerry.  When I first stared using it I didn't see the manual and effectively taught myself - and enjoyed the process!  I would be happy to continue using it!

Re SignBlazer - I keep get an 'An unrecoverable error has occurred' message.  I get the option to save my work but then SignBlazer closes. Noting that there won't be any further software updates, is this just something I have to live with (and get used to saving regularly)?

Yeah, keep hitting that CTRL-S key combo often -- it's a good habit to get into anyway.

Ur Welcome.

17 hours ago, RoundalCutter said:

Re SignBlazer - I keep get an 'An unrecoverable error has occurred' message.  I get the option to save my work but then SignBlazer closes. Noting that there won't be any further software updates, is this just something I have to live with (and get used to saving regularly)?

Are you getting this error when you're starting to create a new file, or working on an existing one? If existing, what is the size of the file?