garbergirl

Cutting issue

Today when I turned on my cutter and tried to use it, it's only cutting half of my graphic. It acts as if it's cutting the rest of it and goes through the motions, however it's just scratching the surface as if it's self adjusting the pressure. I've restarted and reset everything and still doing it. Help?

Hello GG, what you describe is kinda hard to troubleshoot long-distance, especially as there are several variables to consider.

Best thing to do is get a short video of the cut process and post it here.

Then, what's the graphic? I have seen problems arise from a thing called a "stray node" and it would be useful to verify that you don't have one.

And, of course, the cutting strip itself can be visually inspected to see if it's gouged.

We can start with those and work forward...

Thank you. It's a really simple heart with some lettering. Way less than what I'm used to cutting. Cutting stop is fine and it's doing it on everything I cut. Say there's 3 parts to it. It cuts the first thing fine, then continues like it's cutting the rest but it isn't. I've tried grouping, u grouping, and welding too.still cuts the very first part. 

You say it makes the motions but doesn't cut, what about the cutting head, is it moving up and down still?

HI! Sorry for the delay. It does act like its cutting but slowly looses pressure. A better term for my issue would be that it looses pressure midway through a cut. Small fonts, large fonts, big graphics and small. Starts out fine, then just barely grazes the top of the vinyl. I uninstalled and reinstalled Vinylmaster xpt and no fix. 

We did have a lightening storm last week and were without power for 3 days, but I have it plugged into a power strip and everything else is working fine.

So it's going at the same speed, but is just loosing pressure?

Is it loosing pressure in the same area of the cutting strip?

Have you checked if your cutting strip needs to be changed?

Have you check the blade carriage, and make sure that there's nothing wrong where it clamps in? I had a hairline crack on mine, and it was virtually undetectable.

Did you just recently change your blade? is the blade holder seated properly?

Are you using the same vinyl as what cuts perfectly, or is it a different vinyl?

haunana, cutting strip is fine, blade carriage is fine, blade is fine. It cuts the first part of the image and then loses pressure. I put a piece of paper under it while cutting and it didn't even cut the paper but acts like its cutting. I did a wedding sign with just lettering and had the same issue. It will cut some of it just fine, then about half way through the blade doesn't touch the vinyl anymore. 

Hi, I'm back.

1. Did you do what I suggested and try an alternative software? (SignBlazer -- use the RedSail driver).

2. Are you 100% sure the carriage wheels are aligned on the track?

3. You may want to remove the blade retainer arm and verify if it isn't cracked (hairline crack, very hard to notice unless you take it off and inspect it closely). That part is fragile and over-tightening the knurled set-screw can break it.

While it can't hurt to try different software, I don't think it's a software thing. His cutter is an MH and the pressure on those are not controllable through software, only the control panel on the cutter.

When the cutter finished cutting and it's just barely scratching the vinyl, if you start another job without making any adjustments does it start good or does it still only scratch? Or what do you have to do to get it to start cutting good again?

You say it fails about half way through a design. Have you tried a simpler design? Is the failure a consistent amount of time after the cut starts? My thinking here is there is some sort of electronics drain and the power to the sednoid fading for some reason.

"her" -- (having girl in the name is a clue!)

I'm not trying to get her to adjust pressure through the software -- I just wanted to see if a different software produces exactly the same results, to check if something is messed-up with VM (unlikely, but I'm wayyyyyy over here, and she's wayyyyy over there, so I have to eliminate stuff methodically, item by item, and software is one variable to my standard troubleshooting process).

She already indicated another design does the same thing (text only).

This one is a toughie.

Sorry, about the his thing, not paying attention to screen names and just habit posting to largely male heave forums.

Hmmm, different design with the same results typically point to something mechanical.

I would try testing it with a pen, maybe just simple horizontal or diagonal lines over the width of the cut window if you have paper big enough, or maybe on the back of vinyl backing, and see is you're getting light pressure in just a specific area of the width, or some way to try to isolate where the light pressure is occurring.