mach9

Polyurethane over vinyl?

I am building a custom wooden box for a fellow drag racer that will hold spark plugs. It will be stained with a brushed on polyurethane clear over that. I had thought about putting his name on it with vinyl before putting on the urethane coat. Anybody done it? All opinions and suggestions are welcome. Thanks! MJ

Use the vinyl to create a stencil to paint the name on. Then you can clearcoat over it.

Guest fivestar

Yup I do cornhole boards all the time and the are varnished over them, I actually tell customers to varnish them so the vinyl is covered.

I had thought about the stencil deal and may go that route. It's nice to know I can do it either way though. I was a little worried about the stain affecting the adhesion of the vinyl. Thanks guys. I'll post a pic when it's done. MJ

Proceed with caution. I SAY DON'T DO IT.

Heres why.

Once you have your letters down and put clear varnish or the Polyurethane over vinyl, this material will shrink in hot weather.

When  it shrinks and the hot sun reactivates the glue on the vinyl and the edges will start curling.

You can use frog juice or cover it with a sheet of clear vinyl.

Your playing with fire my friend.

Been there, done it.

Guest fivestar

I've had cornhole boards that I have done for 2 yrs, and the vinyl looks like it did when I put it on them, the varnish is wearing from playing so much, but the vinyl is still like new. 

I've had cornhole boards that I have done for 2 yrs, and the vinyl looks like it did when I put it on them, the varnish is wearing from playing so much, but the vinyl is still like new. 

Remember I stressed heat and outside. The sun will do damage.

Guest gracewriter

Why not use polyacrylic?  I thought polyurethane ate through rubber. 

And by the way, what is a cornhole board?

Guest gracewriter

Man, you guys have all the fun up there. :-

see in my neck of the woods we call it "bags"  in fact we have been even lazier lately and went to this

targettossprobags-pedestal.jpg

We call it bags as well.  But a video game bags, I have seen it all now.

I guess I have always lived in the wrong part of the country - never heard of cornhole or bags.

I have lived a depraved life.

Guest gracewriter

Why not use polyacrylic? 

That was what first came to my mind.

Brilliant minds think alike :)

Rather than start a new topic, I figured I'd ask here first...

I am doing a logo on a large wood plank that goes under a weight machine at a sports training facility... The old boards had cast vinyl logos on it (I am pretty sure) with no varnish. They took a beating over the years and I am redoing the logos. They then are going to put a poly varnish over it.

My question is, will 651 be okay? It will be indoors with a varnish coat over it, but I am worried about the thickness being an issue...Or should I only go with 751? I plan on giving them pricing options and am pretty sure they will go with the less expensive. Also, I do not stock 751.