Li'l Popeye

New cutter (Vevor KI-720) startup problems, broken parts and fixes.

Hello,

A couple of months ago I purchased this new Vevor KI-720 cutter, which came with Signmaster software and USB cable.
Out of the box and everything connected the feed rollers did not rotate, while the display was showing that they should. It wasn't able to feed vinyl.
What I did was opening the cutter to find the motor that drives the feed rollers, to measure if there was any power getting to it. When I opened the bottomplate, I saw that the entire power supply was loose inside the cutter, while it should be bolted down to the bottomplate. This might have happened during shipping from China to me.
Because the power supply was loose it must have bumped the connector to the feed roller motor, because that connector was loose and some pins of the motor were bent.
Easy fix: straightened the pins, connected the connector, bolted the power supply down to the bottom plate and it functioned.

I also had minor problems with getting the Signmaster software to recognize the plotter, as I was not able to select any plotter in a drop down menu. 
I contacted Future software, opened a ticket, and they helped fixing the issue within a day or 2. I had to download and install new Signmaster software and after that it worked and I was able to send designs to the cutter.

20210419_202823.jpg
^Power supply loose inside of cutter. Also connector of feed rollers motor came off. 

20210420_174621.jpg
^New Vevor vinyl cutter.

20210505_205433.jpg
^Sending design to vinyl cutter with signmaster software.

20210505_205626.jpg
^Little bit of customization...

I have one of those from a pawn shop, looks never used. It appears the USB input may be jacked up since it was all cattywompus in the hole until I disassembled that side, straightened out the jack (by hand, no heat) but still it won't cut or even register in the software. I bought Sign Master from someone off eBay, started a support ticket and received drivers specific to the KI-720. Successfully installed the driver and played with the port settings, still nothing.

Did you follow the instructions that we gave you on your first thread in Feb? Make sure you find  the FTDI  driver (online) for your computer operating system, download and  install, and run,  Reboot computer.  Go into your computer device  manager, find the com port number 1-4 nothing higher.  Then choose the same com port number in Signmaster.  The com port numbers must match or the computer will never communicate with the cutter.   USB is not TRUE USB in value cutters, like higher end cutters.  I have not read anything good about Vevor.  You can put Vevor in the search box upper right and choose everything. 

OK, pawn stars, let's see what we can do.

First things first --  when plugging this thing into your computer, does it chime with a USB connection acknowledgement?

Secondly, you can install SignBlazer and use Liyu, to verify that the cutter is alive.

Thirdly, does your cutter have a serial output port?

Same OP from February. We tried to help. They haven't told us what they have done yet. " Played with the port settings", what does that even mean? 

On 3/6/2022 at 8:30 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Did you follow the instructions that we gave you on your first thread in Feb? Make sure you find  the FTDI  driver (online) for your computer operating system, download and  install, and run,  Reboot computer.  Go into your computer device  manager, find the com port number 1-4 nothing higher.  Then choose the same com port number in Signmaster.  The com port numbers must match or the computer will never communicate with the cutter.   USB is not TRUE USB in value cutters, like higher end cutters.  I have not read anything good about Vevor.  You can put Vevor in the search box upper right and choose everything. 

It had a lot of the same problems as the MH I bought from USCUTTER. I'm done using China junk.

8 minutes ago, Wkdemers1 said:

It had a lot of the same problems as the MH I bought from USCUTTER. I'm done using China junk.

Get your wallet out then and buy a Graphtec or a Roland.  Most here use the Graphtecs.   Most all value cutters come from China.

Just now, MZ SKEETER said:

Get your wallet out then and buy a Graphtec or a Roland.  Most here use the Graphtecs.   Most all value cutters come from China.

Yes, I miss my Graphtec. :(

I don't know why you would think a value cutter would come close to a Graphtec.  Night and day cutters. So what is your problems? Besides saying it is junk.  No one can help you that way.  It takes time and patience to set up a value cutter. 

• Like 1

I expected it to perform longer than a month. I realize it's not a Graphtec and lacks certain features but I figured it would at least cut basic art without having to constantly fight off issues until they pile up into a mountain of impossible problems. I think the main rail is bent, the work doesn't cut in the center of the machine anymore, I have the machine in a clean room, I'm the only one who has used it and I cant figure why it would skip cutting in the center. Next I think the motherboard has an issue because the machine will bog down in the middle of a job and reset. Then I think the motor may be going out because at random it starts making a horrible sound and loses its place in the cut. Then the belt keeps stretching out of shape or tghe tensioner keeps going out of adjustment, the test cut only works half the time, sometimes it cuts double (that I think is in the software) it's just a mess.

I just bought a Graphtec Craft Robo Pro 2. I know, I know.... it's old but it's a Graphtec LOL Has a 14.5" cutting area, what say? :-\