Sign in to follow this  
mmartin6969

mh871 power off n on

when i turn machine on it powers on the off then on then off screen flashes and the head starts to initialize then shuts off and does this over and over, any idea of what part went bad so i can replace it thanks

Hmmmmmm, that was strange ----   a proper solution, and nobody even said a word! However, I would have guessed motherboard (static toasts those MH units, as we know).

5 minutes ago, mom22boys said:

Hi mmartin6969, How did you go about ordering the mother board? Mine is doing the same thing. TIA

He did not order a motherboard.  He stated he has a "parts" machine. (A non working extra cutter)   Depending on how old your vinyl cutter is ,  you may be able to get one  at UScutter.com

https://uscutter.com/vinyl-cutter-parts/

• Like 1

Thanks Mz Skeeter. I will check the link. Of course mine has to mess up right here at Christmas. SMH Thanks again.

Found one!! $100 and I hope it is cutting again shortly.

Edited by mom22boys

Mom22boys, I would remove your motherboard and check if it matches the image provided on the USCUTTER ordering page -- chances are it won't. (My MH, for instance, didn't have the COM ports attached as the one pictured does).

Anyway, they want just $300 for a refurbished one, complete, but the cost is about $100 for just the replacement MB. I cannot imagine a difference of $200 being worthwhile to get an MH unit running (maybe, no guarantees), especially when you have a ton of work ahead.

Perhaps you can spring for a different machine (SC2) to 'put under' your Christmas tree this year, and thank Santa for providing you with a new unit that will be a substantial improvement over the MH?

Meanwhile, here's a little gift from me to you --- Holiday FontDings. 
 https://www.fontspace.com/category/christmas,dingbats

• Like 2

there have been at least 3 different versions of the mh mainboard that I know of and they are not interchangeable 

Thanks everyone! We took the cutter all apart and the power supply led is blinking so according to youtube, it needs the power supply. Thanks so much for all for y'alls help!

Excellent news.  That's only a $50 fix.

Come back when you have it up and running again, and confirm that was the actual problem!

Also, in the future, be wary of static, verify the machine is grounded to the stand, and don't run that thing on carpeted floors!
(putting a few dryer sheets, like BOUNCE, into the ends of the vinyl roll cores can alleviate that static build-up).