AnoMein

ArtCut2009 won't open files - blank/white/empty

Hello!

My mom bought a Refine EH-721 secondhand. With it came the software ArtCut2009. She mentioned that the guy she bought it off demonstrated the machine and it worked without issues.

Now that she has the plotter at home and ArtCut2009 installed it just won't work.

ArtCut simply won't open any files, be it .jpg, .png, .svg nor .eps. all files appear blank/white/empty for some reason. Therefore we cannot vectorize nor sent to plotter/cutter

We tried via "Open file" and "Import" both to no avail.

We did however try VinylMaster DEMO and opening .jpg, and .png worked without problems. We were also able to vectorize but cannot sent to plotter because it's the DEMO version and spending another 150€ is out of question.

Any advice?

In Artcut,  you should have HELP at the top of the layout screen.  Look for tutorials there.   There are youtube videos out there for using it.   Artcut  was always considered junk software.Buyers have too many problems with it, and you would be further ahead trying the FREE Signblazer.   My 2c

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

In Artcut,  you should have HELP at the top of the layout screen.  Look for tutorials there.   Artcut  was always considered junk software.Buyers have too many problems with it, and you would be further ahead trying the FREE Signblazer.   My 2c

Yeah I meant tutorials for SignBlazer, not sure how that software works, trying to hit "Help" and "Contents" wont do anything

Both of those softwares have not been updated for many years. They quit making Artcut in 2009.   Signblazer owner passed away many years back. It's abandonware, unlimited trial.    Look up Signblazer on youtube or google,  There are videos out there.   The cheapest Vinyl Master is $59 from Vinyl Master website. 

There are actually two different things being discussed here.

The first is getting the cutter to respond and cut anything at all. Apparently, Artcut was failing at that, and no communication was being established. SignBlazer is a great tool to troubleshoot com setup and machine driver errors.

The second issue is vectorizing images (raster graphics) and getting to paths for cutting. Honestly, if it's something that you do a lot of, then VinylMaster is a good investment for $60.  (SignBlazer vector engine is mediocre at best).

But, let's leave the vectorization problem alone for now, and focus on getting the cutter to simply cut anything (a single typed letter 'Q').
After we establish the functionality of your mom's cutter and make sure it works at her home, then we can return to other things like image conversions.

15 hours ago, slice&dice said:

There are actually two different things being discussed here.

The first is getting the cutter to respond and cut anything at all. Apparently, Artcut was failing at that, and no communication was being established. SignBlazer is a great tool to troubleshoot com setup and machine driver errors.

The second issue is vectorizing images (raster graphics) and getting to paths for cutting. Honestly, if it's something that you do a lot of, then VinylMaster is a good investment for $60.  (SignBlazer vector engine is mediocre at best).

But, let's leave the vectorization problem alone for now, and focus on getting the cutter to simply cut anything (a single typed letter 'Q').
After we establish the functionality of your mom's cutter and make sure it works at her home, then we can return to other things like image conversions.

I think either you have misunderstood or it was me not expressing myself correctly. If so, my bad. English isnt my first language.

The main issue lies within ArtCut not showing any files properly.

No .jpg, png, svg, eps, nothing. When hitting "Open" or "Import" no file shows up in the file explorer, when trying to drag in a file, the file appears white/blank/empty, however the topbar says the file name so it is kind of opening the files, just blank if that makes sense

I don't think anyone misunderstood you,  Artcut is junk software. We cannot trouble shoot junk software and make it work for you.  We are trying to get you up and cutting. Seeing as how you don't want to spend more money, Signblazer is about your only option.  Thousands of people are still using it.  No one here uses Artcut.   There is only about a couple handfuls of members here who will answer questions, we are just volunteers, no one uses Artcut.  And we would have never recommended buying the Refine vinyl cutter either, it is very problematic. Very prone to static, communication problems, short on memory. Bad on tracking vinyl. Why aren't you contacting the seller of the Artcut and vinyl cutter as your tech support? 

OK, so what happens with SignBlazer? Can you Import the .eps or .jpg files? This was my suggestion yesterday, and we have not heard back on that step. (if you cannot figure out the basic and beginner-oriented interface of the cartoon-like SBE, then your mom is in deeper trouble than we can help with).

4 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

OK, so what happens with SignBlazer? Can you Import the .eps or .jpg files? This was my suggestion yesterday, and we have not heard back on that step. (if you cannot figure out the basic and beginner-oriented interface of the cartoon-like SBE, then your mom is in deeper trouble than we can help with).

I will get back to you in a couple of hours when I'm actually home to try it. Thanks

9 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I don't think anyone misunderstood you,  Artcut is junk software. We cannot trouble shoot junk software and make it work for you.  We are trying to get you up and cutting. Seeing as how you don't want to spend more money, Signblazer is about your only option.  Thousands of people are still using it.  No one here uses Artcut.   There is only about a couple handfuls of members here who will answer questions, we are just volunteers, no one uses Artcut.  And we would have never recommended buying the Refine vinyl cutter either, it is very problematic. Very prone to static, communication problems, short on memory. 

Alright. We will give Signblazer a go in a couple of hours when I'm back home. What cutter do you recommend then? She paid almost 300€ for the Refine plotter secondhand

The Refine  and Redsail are the most inexpensive vinyl cutters you could buy.  And inexpensive comes along with problems, of static, communication, memory and vinyl tracking problems.  The Liyu vinyl cutters here is the next step up. The SC unit,  now It's been upgraded to SC2.  People seen to like them real well. It's true, you get what you pay for in vinyl cutters. Cheap is not good in a vinyl cutter.  Of course, we would say get a Graphtec, but that doesn't seem to be an option here.  Buy the best that you can afford. Every step up is a better vinyl cutter. We try to steer people away from those Refine vinyl cutters all the time, to at least step up to the SC2 unit. It is a much better vinyl cutter. 

• Like 1

You stated "She paid almost 300€ for the Refine plotter secondhand."   You should have checked here first,  or did some research first, not after buying.  You would probably crap that I paid $3k for my new Graphtec  FC- 30 inch cutter back in 2008.  I use it almost every day, as I do have a business.  I have never had a problem,   Graphtecs are workhorses, that have servo motors,  quiet and accurate, great tracking.  They cut with great quality and detail.  They have TRUE USB, not some cheap Chinese chipset, like the value cutters.  Graphtecs hold their value. When you run a business you don't have time to be fiddling with settings and problems all the time.  Time is money.  My orders cut right the first time.  Even the Graphtec CE units do the same. I started with a Seiki value cutter, for 14 months and worked my way up. You see Refines for sale all day long  You can go into the Refine MH thread and see all the problems with them.   

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 1:59 PM, slice&dice said:

Hello! I tried SignBlazer and yes I can import files, the bitmap/vector options are bit tricky to learn but I can't send the file to the plotter. I keep getting an error.

On 7/19/2021 at 4:27 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

You stated "She paid almost 300€ for the Refine plotter secondhand."   You should have checked here first,  or did some research first, not after buying.  You would probably crap that I paid $3k for my new Graphtec  FC- 30 inch cutter back in 2008.  I use it almost every day, as I do have a business.  I have never had a problem,   Graphtecs are workhorses, that have servo motors,  quiet and accurate, great tracking.  They cut with great quality and detail.  They have TRUE USB, not some cheap Chinese chipset, like the value cutters.  Graphtecs hold their value. When you run a business you don't have time to be fiddling with settings and problems all the time.  Time is money.  My orders cut right the first time.  Even the Graphtec CE units do the same. I started with a Seiki value cutter, for 14 months and worked my way up. You see Refines for sale all day long  You can go into the Refine MH thread and see all the problems with them.   

Well, I didnt know she had the idea of buying a plotter and the fact that she bought the plotter until she asked me for help... So how could I have checked here first... Also, what's wrong with getting help even after buying? Lol

She is not planning to run a major business, mainly for private stuff or for friends and family. Thank you.

Start with just typing out some text on the layout screen and sending it to the cutter, so you know your cutter is communicating with the computer..  What does the error say?   This older software likes older files like version 8.eps.  This software has not been updated for years.   A vinyl cutter only cuts vector images, not bitmaps or jpegs. Which are raster designs. (pixals).

What have you done to set up the cutter to the computer?  If using USB,  Did you download the driver, extract and run it? Then reboot your computer?  Match the com ports  # in device manager and  software?  Must be between 1-4.  Choose your vinyl cutter in Signblazer set up.   Vinyl cutters do not set up like a printer,  they are not plug and play. 

I never had much success with the vectoring from SignBlazer. Once you figure out how to cut text and get things working then you can look into Inkscape. it's a free vector design software and has a really good vector ability. I do most of my designing in Inkscape then save it as an EPS or SVG and open/import with my cutting software.

I am now stepping away from troubleshooting this cutter for AnoMein's mom.

5 hours ago, there's a mention of an error. What error? The cutter was operating (which I tried to verify, and you claimed that I misunderstood when asking about that) and now, you have a problem? I hate trying to follow these types of long-distance "I'll try that tomorrow" sort of replies, without any solid information given that's helping us to help.

SignBlazer will run that cutter, choose RedSail from the list of devices in setup. That is the proper solution here. Bye.

18 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Start with just typing out some text on the layout screen and sending it to the cutter, so you know your cutter is communicating with the computer..  What does the error say?   This older software likes older files like version 8.eps.  This software has not been updated for years.   A vinyl cutter only cuts vector images, not bitmaps or jpegs. Which are raster designs. (pixals).

What have you done to set up the cutter to the computer?  If using USB,  Did you download the driver, extract and run it? Then reboot your computer?  Match the com ports  # in device manager and  software?  Must be between 1-4.  Choose your vinyl cutter in Signblazer set up.   Vinyl cutters do not set up like a printer,  they are not plug and play. 

Ok so I reinstalled drivers, matched the com ports in device manager and SignBlazer. Chose the RedSail Cutter in setup, imported a file and sent to plotter. That works now but when I start the plotter it sends the blade? or whatever it is across the plotter and the plotter "spits" out the vinyl paper, the blade? comes back and starts cutting in the air it seems.

You must push the ORIGIN button before sending a file.The rest you will have to figure out.  Find a user manual online.   I don't own a Refine vinyl cutter.  Instructions above are how to set up any value cutter with software. You will have to learn how to run your own cutter, and what the buttons do. Different,brands/ models, different buttons.   Read thru all the problems in the MH series thread, maybe you will find yours.  There is also a search button in the upper right hand corner.   Ask the seller, who sold it to your Mom. As mentioned before, the Refine is very problematic. We advise new buyers not to buy it.  Two of us have advised you to type some text on the layout screen and send it to cut. That way you know you are sending vector files to make sure the cutter is communicating correctly with your computer.  After you get everything communicating, and your correct settings done,  blade depth, which is very important, and the first thing that needs to be correct ,force, speed, then you can import vector images. They must be set to the vinyl that you are going to cut.