VinylM

Installing on a split window.

How does one go about installing vinyl on a window that has a beam in the middle? The customer wants wording on both windows but there is a beam down the middle. What do I do? He wants them centered and I’m not sure what to do. 

28AE4259-880C-4CA4-8C5C-CDADB4BBBA1B.jpeg

VinylM -- your first order of business will be to provide the client with a mock-up image, showing what the result will appear like.

I'm offering an example, just insert your required text, and go ahead to production.

hoteats.JPG

Thank you @slice&dice. I have done that already. Where I’m curious is I was going to just apply the decal on either side of that beam and cut the letters where the beam is. As I looked around on other store fronts I only found one and it looked like they applied it right over the beam. With that I would assume there was extra space needed to fold down the side of the beam but not sure how to take that into account. Did they stretch the letter?  

Wow @mark-s I’m so glad your in a forum that’s used to help people. 
I’m trying here ... and you don’t even know my situation. My brother did signs before he went into the marine Corp and I had to bury him. I’m trying to keep this going for him. So yeah it’s not my expertise but i will do whatever it takes to learn it all. Even if I have to deal w morons like you that are so unkind. I hope you were  able to feel so cool after your comment...

4 hours ago, VinylM said:

Thank you @slice&dice. I have done that already. Where I’m curious is I was going to just apply the decal on either side of that beam and cut the letters where the beam is. As I looked around on other store fronts I only found one and it looked like they applied it right over the beam. With that I would assume there was extra space needed to fold down the side of the beam but not sure how to take that into account. Did they stretch the letter?  

Hi

Ideally Grab some masking tape and suspend the decal while taped and mark its position on the windoww using a chalk marker or whiteboard marker. Obviously it will go over the beam. Now. with a pen or pencil mark on the decal the start and end of the  beam area. I would then cut the decal into three pieces and put each piece one by one. Put the decal on the beam only if the beam is smooth enough. You may have to reposition the decal w.r.t. the other parts, so the wet application method is recommended. Start squeeging from the centre and go upto the beam. You will have a bit of overhang  or extra but don't worry, that cen be trimmed later on. Hope this helps

IMG_20210629_100226.jpg

If that font/layout isn't part of their branding, then you could adjust the text so it will break in between the window frame, then you won't have to deal with making additional cuts, or stretching (if that's what you're considering).  In a perfect world, you could keep the kerning (spacing between letters), but in reality - when I look at signage that has to span several window panes, I do not have an expectation that the kerning will be preserved because of the any framing that will run through the text - regarding if you choose to put vinyl on it, or space around it. Main thing is that people get the gist of what's being advertised.

• Like 1

I don't do much window work anymore but the few times I have had a situation like this I removed the peice completely that would have been where the frame is. I wouldnlt try and put the little bit on the frame and definitly not wrap the design up the side and over that frame. The human eye will ignore the missing part perfectly and almost no one will even notice. You will of course, but that's also typical, the installer is the worst critic.

• Like 1