FKBSAR

Grounding without a Stand

Hi.  I received my MH-871 approximately two weeks ago,  I did purchase a stand, but decided to just place it on a desk.  Is there a way that I can ground my cutter without the stand being assembled and set up if at all possible.  It sits right next to a small dorm type fridge and I was wondering if I could use something on that to ground the cutter or after pulling out the fridge to look behind it I saw an old cable connection and wondered if I could ground it to the screw going into the wall.

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

the vinyl cutter itself is grounded thru the plug -= the grounding the stand (when used) keeps static from  building in the vinyl and discharging thru the plotter carriage when cutting - if you are doing small sheets shouldn't be a big problem 

My sheets right now are the ones that come in the starter kit approx 30”. But most of my stuff is only 6” x 6”or so. Maybe in the future something larger but for right now its small. Thank you for the insight. 

Hi, I was wondering this, too.
Some experience grounding problems, but the cutter is grounded through the plug connection with wall socket. I assume inside the machines the "ground" cable is connected to machine's frame? That would make that the machine is grounded.
But as I understand correctly, the static issues is that the stand is not grounded? So a small piece of wire from stand's frame (aluminium) to machine's frame (steel bottomplate) would get rit of any static charge built up?
Does it matter that the rolls that the vinyl roll is placed onto are made of plastic? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Li'l Popeye said:

Some experience grounding problems, but the cutter is grounded through the plug connection with wall socket. I assume inside the machines the "ground" cable is connected to machine's frame? That would make that the machine is grounded.
But as I understand correctly, the static issues is that the stand is not grounded? So a small piece of wire from stand's frame (aluminum) to machine's frame (steel bottom plate) would get rit of any static charge built up?
Does it matter that the rolls that the vinyl roll is placed onto are made of plastic? 

personally have never tried plastic holder - thinking plastic and vinyl would hold a charge - maybe use a static tinsel to discharge.  reviews on this product are not great but wonder what machines they used them on and what the problems actually were.   https://uscutter.com/Anit-Static-Kit-for-Vinyl-Cutters/ 

17 minutes ago, Li'l Popeye said:

But as I understand correctly, the static issues is that the stand is not grounded? So a small piece of wire from stand's frame (aluminum) to machine's frame (steel bottom plate) would get rit of any static charge built up?

personally have never tried plastic holder - thinking plastic and vinyl would hold a charge - maybe use a static tinsel to discharge.  reviews on this product are not great but wonder what machines they used them on and what the problems actually were.   https://uscutter.com/Anit-Static-Kit-for-Vinyl-Cutters/ 

I have had rolands and graphtecs so long I don't remember much about the static issues 

I have not experienced any static issues, so far. But reading this forum, I must be the only one. Better safe as sorry, so I was asking.

The issue of grounding is not the cutter or even the stand for that matter, the issue is the vinyl itself. As you stated the cutter is grounded through the outlet and internal wiring. The problem is the vinyl is what is generating the static and it has no place to go other than through the blade. The static discharge into the blade will also pass through the various electronics before it gets to ground. The fix is to ground the vinyl itself so that static does not build up. This is most easily accomplished by grounding the stand since the vinyl is touching the stand all the time static can not build up on it. The other option is a grounding wire/cable that drapes across the back of the cutter and touches the vinyl as is feed into the cutter.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Li'l Popeye said:

I have not experienced any static issues, so far. But reading this forum, I must be the only one. Better safe as sorry, so I was asking.

we aren't all that familiar with the plotters sold under the mh series outside the US - they are different than the ones that uscutter sells but betting same problem exist with a regular stand (that you don't use) that the rubber feet on the plotter insulates the stand - where other plotters have metal to metal stand/ plotter connection - many people don't have trouble for months or years - until that one zap takes out the z control chip on the mainboard 

Here's my plotter with stand. Correction: the rolls are not plastic, but black alu or steel. The bearing holders of the rolls, that come into contact with the frame are plastic.
My concern is: if I (and I will) place a grounding wire between the stand's frame (alu) and the plotter's frame (bolt), the static build up of vinyl will go through the plastic bearing holders? 

20210420_174608.jpg

That stand & cutter is facing backwards, just sayin'

Since the stand is powder-coated, make sure you get any attached grounding wire to touch the bare metal in a screw hole.
Grounding wire is normally provided inside the 'starter box' (along with other cables, and spare blades).

If you're trying to stop static build-up from the vinyl rolls, stuff the cardboard core with dryer sheets. They do a fine job of preventing any sudden static discharge.

Yep, dollar-store anti-static sheets, with or without fragrance.

On 8/29/2021 at 5:37 PM, slice&dice said:

That stand & cutter is facing backwards, just sayin'

Since the stand is powder-coated, make sure you get any attached grounding wire to touch the bare metal in a screw hole.
Grounding wire is normally provided inside the 'starter box' (along with other cables, and spare blades).

If you're trying to stop static build-up from the vinyl rolls, stuff the cardboard core with dryer sheets. They do a fine job of preventing any sudden static discharge.

Yep, dollar-store anti-static sheets, with or without fragrance.

It's facing backwards because the USB cable is not long enough... It cuts just as good this way.

It's OK to extend that USB cable with a few extra feet, then you can spin that baby 180

34Rocstor-USB-3.0-Extension-Cable-6ft-1.

(If you like loading the vinyl from that front side, just flip the roller-racks around).