lasakro

Will an SC2 + Inkscape + pySerial + Ubuntu work?

I'm about to order an SC2 and don't want to send it back. Has anyone have the Title above working? I read the above will theoretically work. A VM is not an option for me, neither is Windoze. He can't make virus proof OS so they put him in charge of planetary extinction.

Not likely to receive a definitive answer to that here.

Rare to find a techie in these forums, and my own knowledge base is limited to WinXP & SignBlazer.

Sorry.

7 hours ago, lasakro said:

I'm about to order an SC2 and don't want to send it back. Has anyone have the Title above working? I read the above will theoretically work. A VM is not an option for me, neither is Windoze. He can't make virus proof OS so they put him in charge of planetary extinction.

There is Inkcut that is supposed to be compatible with Ubuntu. No idea if it works or how well. You sound savvy so it may work for you. Here is a link:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/inkcut/

Worst case you may have to find an older windows XP to dedicate to the cutter and run the VM Cut that should come with the cutter.  Many people do that for pretty cheap. I'm a Mac guy and even Macs have limited options (SignCut Pro for me) but Linux is stepping out onto the path less traveled. Good luck. Cutters are freakin' awesome. 

47 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

There is Inkcut that is supposed to be compatible with Ubuntu.

Inkcut does list the SC Series as a supported device. Is the Windows SC driver the same as the SC2 driver?

So it looks like I have 2 Linux possibilities, Inkcut & pySerial to try. Then I thought of it after my first post but there is also a third option of using Wine with a Windows program. Sounds like enough options to proceed with the order.

Thanks guys.

"Is the Windows SC driver the same as the SC2 driver?"

Interesting question.

I would say yes, because when I was using SignBlazer, the Liyu model selection operated on both the SC (which I owned years ago) and the SC2 (which I eventually acquired and still use). So, based on that logic, it's the same driver.

If you use the serial port on the cutter you don't need a driver and there's no reason you wouldn't be able to cut from linux. I do have a linux box and occasionally run Vinyl Master on it using Wine, but I have not tried to cut with it yet. I believe VM comes with the cutter so if you have no issues running Wine VM would by my preference over Inkcut. Inkcut was a nice try, but doesn't compare to a true cutting program.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 2:03 PM, darcshadow said:

If you use the serial port on the cutter you don't need a driver and there's no reason you wouldn't be able to cut from linux. I do have a linux box and occasionally run Vinyl Master on it using Wine, but I have not tried to cut with it yet. I believe VM comes with the cutter so if you have no issues running Wine VM would by my preference over Inkcut. Inkcut was a nice try, but doesn't compare to a true cutting program.

Everything I'm reading agrees with your statement. Since last post I installed it. I found PlayOnLinux , over the past several years, to be a great front end for WINE. After 2 evenings trying to manually map the USB port through the OS to the SW I gave up. My new SC2 will have a little LattaPanda strapped to her back running Win10  :'(  I'll just have to remote in from my Linux box. 

If someone needs a starting point where I left off keep reading. I've mapped my "Police Scanner" using a USB to RS-232 Converter and authored the instructions up at RadioReference.com, Another good reference even though its like 5 yrs old. Problem I'm having is that VinylMaster keeps rewiting the Windows system.reg file filling up Coms 1-33. This has to be set correctly and so does a "ComXX" entry as a device in folder "dosdevices". I created a Com 34 in both places but ttyACM0 gets assigned in both 33 and 34. I don't think that's good or know how to get around it without some funky timed script to rewrite the port after VM starts. I'm getting too old for that nonsense.

I just need to make some quick window signs for my Jeep before their Indictments. Time is getting short:

FAUCI BROUGHT US HIV &

KNEW ABOUT HCQ IN 2005

GATES WANTS YOU DEAD

link removed by mod