I design in illustrator and send to  CM4 and it shows my design and when I hit send it counts like it is cutting but it isnt.

I can go to my control panel on my cutter and do a test cut and it works.

I can not for the life of me figure out what is wrong.  I go to the device manager and it says device is working properly.

It worked great up until a week ago.  

I have re installed and updated the driver and software.

I am wondering if it is the usb connection into the cutter, but then if that were it and not a connection would the device manager say it was working properly?

I really could use any help I can get.

Graphtec support will not answer emails either.

Try a different trial software.  Test connection that way.  Signcut, Vinylmaster.  (Command  HP-GL)  If you have Windows, didn't you get GraphtecPro Studio with your cutter?   Change the USB cable. They are not expensive.   I had one that got broken wires and would stop,  I would wiggle it and cutter would take off.   If those fail and you think the USB  plug is bad on the cutter, get a RS232 cable.  

I  changed the cables and updated all software. The reason I think the USB plug is bad is because when I unplug my other usb cables I get a sound from my pc letting

me know that it unplugged and when I unplug from the cutter it does not,  so,  I think I will try the  RS232 cable.  

Thank you so much.

3 minutes ago, DawnR said:

I  changed the cables and updated all software. The reason I think the USB plug is bad is because when I unplug my other usb cables I get a sound from my pc letting

me know that it unplugged and when I unplug from the cutter it does not,  so,  I think I will try the  RS232 cable.  

Thank you so much.

Are you sure that your computer USB port is working?   By plugging something else into it?   Have you tried other USB ports on your computer? 

Yes, I checked that too.  I actually have a usb  additional hub that I plug into also and everything else is working.  I tried plugging my graphtec right into the pc where I have a  back up storage and it did the same.

Where do you recommend getting a  USB RS232 cable from?

actually maybe I will try the Graphtec Studio and see if that works first.  But I like the idea of a USB  RS232 cable.

1 minute ago, DawnR said:

actually maybe I will try the Graphtec Studio and see if that works first.  But I like the idea of a USB  RS232 cable.

I can't answer that,  I have never needed one.  I run USB. 

No.  I have a Graphtec FC, bought new in 2008.  I do not plug and unplug my cutter. It is on a dedicated computer all the time. My USB is built into this cutter very well. It can't move. 

I dont unplug mine either but when I was having trouble I looked at the cable first and noticed it wobbled.

I have a feeling it is the port as when I was just moving it around it made a disconnection noise from my pc.

I have been very fortunate,  This FC unit is built like a tank.  Never once a problem since I bought new. I cut almost every day.  

Yes you are lucky.  I bought mine new in 2018 and this is the first problem I have had and I love the cutter.

Thank you for your help, I need to get this figured out or my anxiety is going to kill me.

You need to count the pins on the RS232 connection and find a cable.   We advise a Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter. That is the brand name. It works with a vinyl cutter, but then you would need to find a 9 pin adapter to whatever pin your vinyl cutter is. (mine is 25 pin)  Plus make sure that the male/female ends are correct.  Or take your chances with a 25 pin to USB  RS232 cable.  That is all that I can offer, maybe someone else can offer more. 

Almost afraid to ask, what version of Windows are you using, and did it run some kind of update? Did you run any update on your AI?

On 5/7/2021 at 1:18 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

You need to count the pins on the RS232 connection and find a cable.   We advise a Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter. That is the brand name. It works with a vinyl cutter, but then you would need to find a 9 pin adapter to whatever pin your vinyl cutter is. (mine is 25 pin)  Plus make sure that the male/female ends are correct.  Or take your chances with a 25 pin to USB  RS232 cable.  That is all that I can offer, maybe someone else can offer more. 

This all helps, thank you. Are the USB ports on the cutter able to be replaced? I have reached out to Graphtec but haven't gotten a reply back.

I opened the device driver and turned my cutter on and it showed up in my device driver. So that should mean that it is connecting with the usb port, correct?

3 minutes ago, DawnR said:

I opened the device driver and turned my cutter on and it showed up in my device driver. So that should mean that it is connecting with the usb port, correct?

It means your PC is detecting it. Was it not detecting it when you were having trouble?

No it always showed up.  I just tried sending it to cut and it wont cut.  I send it from illustrator to the cm4 put my settings and send and it says cutting percentages but the cutter is NOT cutting and for the life of me I can not figure out why.  I will take what ever help I can get.

ok, I am installing the Graphtec Studio Pro and see if that works.  Maybe it was the windows update that screwed everything up.

Question, when the graphtec is installed onto my pc, should it be in the printers folder in the device manager?

I never noticed that it was in that folder before.

My Graphtecs are listed in Printers on every windows.   XP.  Windows 7.    Make sure you don't have something sitting in Que.   Also,you could do a system restore and put your computer back when it was working good. 

With windows 10 after so many days you can not do a system restore, tried that first.  Unless you know some other way