Craigo

Upgrade Suggestion

I want to throw this out to the masses for a suggestion please. My wife and I have been creating signs now for almost a year. We went from a Cricut to a Silhouette 4, and are looking to expand past the 12" limit now. The options are far too many though for me to decide. I think 24" or 30" would be perfect. I do know I want a stand. 99% of my cutting will be using Oracal 831. I currently use the Silhouette software and I am happy with that if it could be used. I can also design in Illustrator if need be. With that information, what would y'all suggest? My guess is it would run maybe 6-8 hours per week tops.

Thanks,

Craig

No you cannot use Silhouette software with any other vinyl cutter.  Upgrades depend on your budget.  No mention. Best cutter I would suggest is a Graphtec, The Silhouette is made by Graphtec.  Most people who upgrade, go with a Graphtec.   Bought mine new in 2008, never a problem.  Any cutter bought here, comes with cutting software. Depends on whether you have Windows or Mac as to what you choose. 

• Like 1

Standard answer, get the best you can afford. For most on here that is a Graphtech.  If that's out of your price range a Titan 2 would be the next best option I believe. It is one of the cheapest cutters with a servo motor.

Next stop down will be using stepper motors. They are a bit louder and not as precise but can still do a great job. Just stay away from the cheapest of the cheap.

I don't believe the Silhouette software works with anything other than Silhouette cutters, so unless you can export designs from the Silhouette software you'll need to design with something else, AI is good. A new cutter will come with software to cut with so you shouldn't need to buy any additional software.

A 24" or 30" cutter is a good size and don't let the advertising confuse you. 24" and 30" cutters really cut the same thing, it's just how the ad people measure stuff. Standard vinyl is 24" wide so as long as the cutter can handle 24" vinyl don't worry if it's advertised as a 24", 25", or 30".

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

No you cannot use Silhouette software with any other vinyl cutter.  Upgrades depend on your budget.  No mention. Best cutter I would suggest is a Graphtec, The Silhouette is made by Graphtec.  Most people who upgrade, go with a Graphtec.   Bought mine new in 2008, never a problem.  Any cutter bought here, comes with cutting software. Depends on whether you have Windows or Mac as to what you choose. 

Thank you. I figured that would be the case. I will look at the Graphtec.

17 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

Standard answer, get the best you can afford. For most on here that is a Graphtech.  If that's out of your price range a Titan 2 would be the next best option I believe. It is one of the cheapest cutters with a servo motor.

Next stop down will be using stepper motors. They are a bit louder and not as precise but can still do a great job. Just stay away from the cheapest of the cheap.

I don't believe the Silhouette software works with anything other than Silhouette cutters, so unless you can export designs from the Silhouette software you'll need to design with something else, AI is good. A new cutter will come with software to cut with so you shouldn't need to buy any additional software.

A 24" or 30" cutter is a good size and don't let the advertising confuse you. 24" and 30" cutters really cut the same thing, it's just how the ad people measure stuff. Standard vinyl is 24" wide so as long as the cutter can handle 24" vinyl don't worry if it's advertised as a 24", 25", or 30".

Thank you!

Just to clarify, the 30" cutter handles the next largest size up of vinyl rolls -- 6" wider than the 24"

To some, that is not a big deal, what's 6" more? Personally, I routinely use the 30" sized material (and app tape at 30" as well).
I make banners and larger signs, so it matters.

I would have purchased the Titan2 machine already, except it is not offered in the 870mm size that I require.

• Like 1

My Graphtec is the FC unit and is advertised as a 30" cutter. It actually cuts 29.6" wide.  I actually create designs to use at that width. 

So the Servo motor is the big separator. That makes sense. I notice the Graphtec comes with Graphtec Pro Studio software. How does that compare with Vinyl Master?

-Craig

Yes, the servo makes the cutters night and day.  The Graphtecs are very accurate, quiet and cut very detailed designs great.  The Graphtec Pro Studio  is valued at over $1000 and is made by SAI. (Flexi) It is similar to Flexisignpro  without the RIP for printing.  You would need a much higher Vinyl Master software to come close to GraphtecProStudio.    Cutters just come with a basic (Cut Version)   You can look that up on VinylMaster.com  or download a demo from there. 

13 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Yes, the servo makes the cutters night and day.  The Graphtecs are very accurate, quiet and cut very detailed designs great.  The Graphtec Pro Studio  is valued at over $1000 and is made by SAI. (Flexi) It is similar to Flexisignpro  without the RIP for printing.  You would need a much higher Vinyl Master software to come close to GraphtecProStudio.    Cutters just come with a basic (Cut Version)   You can look that up on VinylMaster.com  or download a demo from there. 

Thank you. Dollar for dollar, the Graphtec and ProStudio sounds like the better value to me. I'm still looking, but all of the stepper motor cutters are off my list. This is easier than I thought it would be.

• Like 3

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.