Sign in to follow this  
Guest gracewriter

A morning visitor

Guest gracewriter

Here's something I don't see every day.  He's up in the tree right now.  My dogs were going nuts, now they're all quietly sitting here looking at him.  I think he's afraid to come down even though there's a fence between them.  Isn't he cute?

post-0-1298651999797_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986520007995_thumb.jpg

WOW that's pretty neat!  I don't think I'd want to run into one though...I get more possums, but not since we had alot of brush taken down, thankfully.

Thanks for sharing

Oh btw Grace, here's our goat, still shedding her winter coat.

Jenny

post-1738-12986519998572_thumb.png

post-1738-12986520008295_thumb.png

Guest gracewriter

She's darling!  Let me guess, her name is Billie?

Guest gracewriter

Too funny!  We once had a midget pig.  He esacaped the back yard and was gone for days.  We figured the hispanics found him and had a barbeque. (they were always partying all night and shooting guns off when they got particularly festive)   Then one day I found him at another neighbor's house.  They named him "Hampton." 

I thought that rather clever.

LOL...to funny.  Never had a midget pig or any pig for that matter.  Goats, chickens, rabbits, horses (small & large) and 2 cows!!

Jenny

PS.. my daughter wants a duck

Guest gracewriter

We have these weird mutant ducks down here.  When my sister-in-law was visiting she deemed them "Turkey ducks."  Perfect description.  As soon as one waddles by I'll snap a pic.  They are down right ugly.  They are ruining our indiginous duck population.  Someone idiot brought one in from Africa and you rarely see a normal duck down here anymore.

They are everywhere, millions of them walking in the roads, etc.  They are the one duck you can run over in your car and not get fined.  You are encouraged to destroy the eggs.  We heard cayenne pepper would get them "to leave" so we put out a bunch of food and loaded it up.  Didn't faze them one bit, but boy, they nearly drained the lake that day.  Those ducks were seriously thirsty.

That poor raccoon is still up in the tree.  It hangs over the lake, I think he's been contemplating diving in.  Keeps looking back at the dogs, then at the lake.

stay away from the raccoon. Up here,they are bad to carry rabies.

They are mean too. They will tear your dogs to shreds. Very large claws.

Guest gracewriter

What?  But he's so cute and gentle looking.  I've already named him.

I can't wait to see a picture of that duck!! Sounds like they create ALOT of trouble.  LOL...I can't believe you can run them over without getting into trouble...but if what you say is true, I can see why it's free game for road kill!

Jenny

My uncle James had a pet duck that followed him around like a puppy dog. He ended up being Christmas dinner in 1943. Times were hard then.

Guest gracewriter

I can't wait to see a picture of that duck!! Sounds like they create ALOT of trouble.  LOL...I can't believe you can run them over without getting into trouble...but if what you say is true, I can see why it's free game for road kill!

Jenny

Free game.  You're so funny :o

I can't believe that raccoon is still in the tree.  We even had a thunderstorm and the wind was really strong.  Well, at least he's not frothing at the mouth.  Haven't seen any of our mutant ducks today, odd. 

That raccoon will come down after dark unless your dogs keep it there. I am not sure but I think they can carry the rabies without actually suffering the symptoms.

Guest gracewriter

Thanks John, I'm now actually getting worried and will take this much more seriously.  Where are the raccoon police when you need them :-

Guest gracewriter

Do raccoons eat ducks?  Maybe that's where they disappeared to.  Or on one of John's family member's plates. :o

I think they will eat anything. A few years ago my brother had left his kitchen door open...went to take a shower...came back into the kitchen and saw a raccoon headed out the door dragging an entire loaf of bread. My brother just let him have it. He has money to burn.

Guest gracewriter

So, you would have...wrestled him to the ground and pryed the loaf out of his paws?

of course not..I would have tossed rocks at him,just like my cousin Earnest T Bass taught me,until he dropped it and ran.

LOL....this thread turned funny. 

Ahhh country life and survival.....now that's the life!!  :o

Guest gracewriter

Update:

I was just in my living room and heard what sounded like a bunch of those ducks quacking, so I ran outside to get a pic, didn't see any ducks--but there were a bunch of angry crows who seemed to be yelling at that raccoon to get out of their tree already!  I can't believe he's still up there.

"They come from miles around to eat my corn and laugh in my face".....

The Scarecrow...Wizard of Oz...on Crows.

Here's something I don't see every day.  He's up in the tree right now.  My dogs were going nuts, now they're all quietly sitting here looking at him.  I think he's afraid to come down even though there's a fence between them.  Isn't he cute?

I feed the three that come around the back porch a few times a week. I think it's a mommy, daddy, and little one, or so the size of each leads me to believe. Almost had them eating out of my hand. They REALLY dig the peanut, candy corn, M&M combo mix I throw together for them. The neighbors hate picking up the trash when I am unable to feed 'em though.       :o

Cat likes to hiss at them, but I can never get 'em to brawl.......

Guest gracewriter

Wish I"d known about the peanuts, although he still may be up there.  We keep peanuts around for the squirrles but felt stupid thinking about offering them to a raccoon.  Figured he was more dignified than that. We can get the squirrels to eat out of our hands, but now that John has freightened me about sweet looking little animals who may not be frothing at the mouth if they have rabies, well, kind of ruined it for me.

I'm probably going to have nightmares tonight  :o