Sign in to follow this  
restless-rooster

Need some help with BN-20 contour cut

Hey everyone

i recently purchased a new BN-20 from USCutter.  I also have purchased Orajet 3165.  
When I contour cut, I can not get the sticker off of the backing paper.    I can weed the sticker easily, but when I try to actually peel the sticker off, it pulls the backing paper also. 

Common sense would say the Cut Force is too high right?   Well I went down on Cut force 1gf at a time until it wouldn’t cut through the vinyl. So I was at 37gf cut force and it wouldn’t cut the vinyl. 38 and it would cut too much of the backing paper so I couldn’t get the sticker off. 

Next, I tried to adjust my blade depth and try everything all over again.   I came up with the same issue.    I put a new blade in and have the same issue.    My blade is out about half of a CC thickness. 

I am using VersaWorks 6.  

any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

thanks!

First off, you have too much blade exposed out of the blade holder. .  You do not use a credit card or post it notes to adjust blade depth.  These instructions have been posted hundreds of times on here.   Next, you do not lift the decal from the backing paper,  You squeegee the top of the transfer tape real good, then turn the decal face down. You peel the backing paper away from the decal. It makes a huge difference.   Lifting the decal off of the backing will lift the backing paper right up with it. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. 

what skeeter said, I had 3 roland print/cut and you blade exposure is out 10 times too far.

word of advice - keep on your weekly maintenance and keep it printing - solvent printers do not like to sit and the head alone on the bn-20n is around $2000 - not individual like the sp-300i  which is only $750 per head.  always keep extra ink on hand so it never runs out and let it do it's daily cleanings.

14 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

First off, you have too much blade exposed out of the blade holder. .  You do not use a credit card or post it notes to adjust blade depth.  These instructions have been posted hundreds of times on here.   Next, you do not lift the decal from the backing paper,  You squeegee the top of the transfer tape real good, then turn the decal face down. You peel the backing paper away from the decal. It makes a huge difference.   Lifting the decal off of the backing will lift the backing paper right up with it. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. 

Awesome, I will go try it right now, thank you!    Also, these probably won’t have a transfer tape on top of them, but would squeegeeing still help?

4 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

what skeeter said, I had 3 roland print/cut and you blade exposure is out 10 times too far.

word of advice - keep on your weekly maintenance and keep it printing - solvent printers do not like to sit and the head alone on the bn-20n is around $2000 - not individual like the sp-300i  which is only $750 per head.  always keep extra ink on hand so it never runs out and let it do it's daily cleanings.

I’m going to give that a shot right now. 
I’m going to order some extra ink right now just to have some on hand, good idea.   Thanks for the tips, I will keep on the maintenance for sure.  

Well @Dakotagrafx and @MZ SKEETER thanks for your help.     I did have my blade set WAY too deep.    It was less than half a CC before, but like you said, that’s not good to go by.     Thanks for your help, it’s cutting beautifully now. 

also to anyone else who has this issue in the future, you may think your blade depth is good, but if you’re having an issue, it’s too deep. 

• Like 2