curlyp

MacBook Pro Retina 13" Skin Template

Hello USCutter Community!

I've been looking online for the dimensions or a vector/svg skin template for my Macbook Pro Retina and cannot find one. Would anyone happen to have the dimensions or skin template they would be willing to share please?

Thanks and stay safe!

7 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I see many,many online, just using your title.  Google is your friend. 

Then maybe I don't know what I am looking for or looking at the wrong thing.  Let me rephrase, I do find some on etsy. I was hoping to find a free template someone has posted or the dimensions to try and make the skins myself.

This forum isn't a Mac crowd.  Most people use a PC  here.   Doubt you will find FREE anyway.  It takes time to do that.  Just like skins for cell phones.  People make their own.   I see templates for sale.  Google images.   If you think you can.  Use your title and put FREE behind it. 

Just now, MZ SKEETER said:

This forum isn't a Mac crowd.  Most people use PC  here. 

Okay, thanks for the clarification; however, the type of computer PC or Mac has nothing to do with my question. This is not software related, which is why I posted in the graphics sub topic. I will go out on a limb here, but I am assuming that the graphics most people make here are not only used by PC users!

10 minutes ago, curlyp said:

Okay, thanks for the clarification; however, the type of computer PC or Mac has nothing to do with my question. This is not software related, which is why I posted in the graphics sub topic. I will go out on a limb here, but I am assuming that the graphics most people make here are not only used by PC users!

If there are no Mac people here,  How can they measure?   There is only about 12 people who answer questions regularly on this forum. If that.  People don't come here unless they have a problem with a cutter. Then they are gone. 

1 minute ago, MZ SKEETER said:

If there are no Mac people here,  How can they measure?   There is only about 12 people who answer questions regularly on this forum. 

Not sure. Thank you though. I will continue my search online.

curlyP, let me chime in here briefly.

A template to me is the precise Macbook Pro Retina covering size for vinyl 'wrap' that fits. Do you own a Macbook Pro Retina?

Does the local MacGenius bar have one there on display? Sometimes we have to go out into the real world and place ourselves in contact with Actual Stuff.

That being said, the "size" dimensions of each model computer are usually listed in the specs. It's probably sufficient to get a rough outline cut, and then trim the vinyl around ports and such, as you lay it down, by hand.

I always made my own templates with precise measurements , then dial in with test cuts.  Takes time and effort but was well worth it 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, slice&dice said:

curlyP, let me chime in here briefly.

A template to me is the precise Macbook Pro Retina covering size for vinyl 'wrap' that fits. Do you own a Macbook Pro Retina?

Does the local MacGenius bar have one there on display? Sometimes we have to go out into the real world and place ourselves in contact with Actual Stuff.

That being said, the "size" dimensions of each model computer are usually listed in the specs. It's probably sufficient to get a rough outline cut, and then trim the vinyl around ports and such, as you lay it down, by hand.

20 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I always made my own templates with precise measurements , then dial in with test cuts.  Takes time and effort but was well worth it 

Thank you both. Yes, I own a MacBook Pro. I wanted to place vinyl to the left and right of the mouse pad and on the top of the laptop (opposite side of the screen).

That makes sense. I will check the site for the dimensions and make some test cuts from there. I am new to this, which is why I reached out.  Is it possible to take pictures of the device and vector it in Vinyl Master?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, curlyp said:

Thank you both. Yes, I own a MacBook Pro. I wanted to place vinyl to the left and right of the mouse pad and on the top of the laptop (opposite side of the screen).

That makes sense. I will check the site for the dimensions and make some test cuts from there. I am new to this, which is why I reached out.  Is it possible to take pictures of the device and vector it in Vinyl Master?

I did this once for a Wii controller. Took a pic and then made a template off that but it was off slightly the first try. Ended up doing it again to get it perfect. If you DO take a pic you will need a way to get it to scale within VinylMaster. In the pick include a part of a measuring tape so you can expand or shrink the pic until the measurements on the pic are correct. Once you size your pic to actual size then you can create a skin. Also bear in mind that if you don't get your pic purely square with the world the image will be skewed. 

What design software do you use with your cutter? If you do the measurements, you should easily be able to create a template, or at least one that's really, really close to actual. Designing in vector will be a skill that you should learn, because your cutter will only cut vector. With a little help from a calculator, it took about 30 minutes to come up with a template. I can't believe people sell this stuff on Etsy :o. btw - you didn't share what year your MBP is, so it's hard to determine whether or not it has a touchbar or not.

12 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

I did this once for a Wii controller. Took a pic and then made a template off that but it was off slightly the first try. Ended up doing it again to get it perfect. If you DO take a pic you will need a way to get it to scale within VinylMaster. In the pick include a part of a measuring tape so you can expand or shrink the pic until the measurements on the pic are correct. Once you size your pic to actual size then you can create a skin. Also bear in mind that if you don't get your pic purely square with the world the image will be skewed. 

Interesting point about a measuring tape. Thanks for the tip! I just took pics with the measuring tape with it. Is this what you mean? I put the grid marks on my camera and lined them up to the straight edge of the laptop. Did I get it correct?

96CCF158-5ED3-4B9D-B629-F42B8F87F048.thumb.jpeg.cf4feda322829f128f192192b540f966.jpeg

BDD5E929-B252-45AD-9031-A21791AC034B.thumb.jpeg.8344921a8aed0cd4c4e0c1cc2eeefa34.jpeg

10 hours ago, haumana said:

What design software do you use with your cutter? If you do the measurements, you should easily be able to create a template, or at least one that's really, really close to actual. Designing in vector will be a skill that you should learn, because your cutter will only cut vector. With a little help from a calculator, it took about 30 minutes to come up with a template. I can't believe people sell this stuff on Etsy :o. btw - you didn't share what year your MBP is, so it's hard to determine whether or not it has a touchbar or not.

My apologies, I left out the key information! I use VinylMaster XPT (expert edition). My MacBook Pro is a 2017 non-touch bar. After looking at my laptop, I want to make a template for the mouse pad, left and right of keyboard, top piece of the keyboard, and the top of the laptop (opposite side of screen ).  I cannot do the left and right of the keyboard because the speakers are there. Yes, allot of these are $25-$30 on Etsy!

I also see them for $9.00 for a download. Ready to cut.  What is your time worth?  My time is worth much more than that. I have paid much higher than that for good graphics. 

I also see them for $9.00 for a download. Ready to cut.  What is your time worth?  My time is worth much more than that. I have paid much higher than that for good graphics. 

I don't mind paying the money, but honestly, I would like to learn how to make these. There are so many cool things I see people make and I don't know where to begin!

skins were not anything that I got into.  No money and too many negs from buyers. Right up there with wall art. (Inside decals)  with Oracal 631. Everybody is doing them.   You need to find a niche' that no one is doing to have a business. When everyone is doing something, it is just a matter of who is the cheapest. You have to set your self up with something others don't have. Then you set your own price.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

skins were not anything that I got into.  No money and too many negs from buyers. Right up there with wall art. (Inside decals)  with Oracal 631. Everybody is doing them.   You need to find a niche' that no one is doing to have a business. When everyone is doing something, it is just a matter of who is the cheapest. You have to set your self up with something others don't have. Then you set your own price.  

Interesting, thank you for the tip. This skin for only for myself - when I wear my watch, it rubs on the laptop aluminum body as I type.  I had no plans of making these to sell!

Side question that has nothing to do with my post. Is it possible to use my SC2 28" cutter to make vinyl wraps for my vehicle?

You don"t cut wraps with a vinyl cutter.  Go look at some videos.  It's done my hand.   Most wrap material is 60" wide. 

You don"t cut wraps with a vinyl cutter.  Go look at some videos.  It's done my hand.   Most wrap material is 60" wide. 

Oh, haha ok. Thank you.

1 minute ago, curlyp said:

Interesting, thank you for the tip. This skin for only for myself - when I wear my watch, it rubs on the laptop aluminum body as I type.  I had no plans of making these to sell!

Side question that has nothing to do with my post. Is it possible to use my SC2 28" cutter to make vinyl wraps for my vehicle?

good time to learn than on one for yourself

usually wraps are printed (but cool effects if you put cut vinyl under the other vinyl that shows thru . . .  they are either solid color or the printed and put on the vehicle and then cut with a razor blade - lots of hours into learning especially on those compound curves.  wrap vinyl is also very expensive - look at the oracal 951 for solid color and some knifeless tape.   youtube videos make it look easy from the experts but trust me it isn't that easy.

when you get really good you put cut vinyl under the printed and make it look like tattooed vinyl wrap - keep in mind the guy that did this is one of the 3 best in canada and travels the world doing wraps but was on our forum when he started.

No photo description available.

4 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

good time to learn than on one for yourself

usually wraps are printed (but cool effects if you put cut vinyl under the other vinyl that shows thru . . .  they are either solid color or the printed and put on the vehicle and then cut with a razor blade - lots of hours into learning especially on those compound curves.  wrap vinyl is also very expensive - look at the oracal 951 for solid color and some knifeless tape.   youtube videos make it look easy from the experts but trust me it isn't that easy.

when you get really good you put cut vinyl under the printed and make it look like tattooed vinyl wrap - keep in mind the guy that did this is one of the 3 best in canada and travels the world doing wraps but was on our forum when he started.

No photo description available.

wow...amazing! I was just curious about the vehicle wraps. I would love to play around with it on my truck. I had an idea of doing a military themed wrap. So the design under the printed on this truck is cut vinyl? 10 yards of Dark Red 951 is almost $69! I wonder if I use cheap 500 vinyl first to play around if I decide to do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curlyp said:

wow...amazing! I was just curious about the vehicle wraps. I would love to play around with it on my truck. I had an idea of doing a military themed wrap. So the design under the printed on this truck is cut vinyl? 10 yards of Dark Red 951 is almost $69! I wonder if I use cheap 500 vinyl first to play around if I decide to do it.

cheap vinyl won't work like cast - cast (more expensive) is actually thinner and stretches around the compound curves better.  go to a nbm show in your area when they come around 
Indy is closest to you and in June - always a great experience
https://graphics-pro-expo.com/events/

3 hours ago, curlyp said:

Did I get it correct?

96CCF158-5ED3-4B9D-B629-F42B8F87F048.thumb.jpeg.cf4feda322829f128f192192b540f966.jpeg

Not exactly. You want to be looking straight down on the laptop. If you trace that image you will end up with a Trapezoid rather than a rectangle. 

• Like 1

Don't mean to threadjack, but this years' expo seems to be a fantastic opportunity for me to drive up from Baltimore and check out this New Jersey event ----
July 15-16, 2021 Meadowlands Exposition Center

New for 2021, GPX will co-locate with the NSSA NORTHEAST SIGN EXPO for a dynamic event in the New Jersey/New York City area.

I'm gonna get an invite from my local Grimco rep., mainly because I love getting all the 'freebies' handed out at a convention of this size.  Can you say SQUEEGees!!!

Itʻs more like this photo, "birdʻs eye" and square it as much as possible.

IMG_0851.jpg

Iʻm guessing youʻre looking for this template?

569323925_ScreenShot2021-04-26at8_42_11PM.png.8cf7a4f18e4427613aa9d5d5591b114f.png

• Like 2