cbs2019

Can a SC2 cutter cut small detail reliably?

I recently purchased a SC2 cutter.  I was cutting some decals and had problems with the cutter pulling up some small details in the design.  Is this usual for this cutter.  I used my Cameo 3 to make the decals and it cut them really well. The part I had problems with were the ball laces on the top.  The words were great. The image is what the Cameo cut to show the laces.  The decal is about 5 inches wide. Is this the SC2 or operator error.

PXL_20210422_131800441.jpg

If you are pulling up vinyl while cutting, you have too much blade exposed out of the blade holder. Do not use any instructions that have to do with a credit card thickness or post it notes.  They are wrong. This is the correct way. Any value cutter has to be dialed in good to cut. Plus turn your speed down.  I never cut fast. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. 

Paper transfer tape is what pros use.  I see you are using clear plastic tape. 

I've had an SC2 for about 3 years now and have had no problems with it. I don't cut a lot of small stuff with it but here's an anchor that has some pretty small detail and I had no problems with it. I haven't cut anything yet that was too small for my cutter. It sounds like it could be a blade depth issue like Mz Skeeter says.

20210422_100419.jpg

try a 60 degree cleancut brand blade . . . . and follow skeeters instructions for least blade exposure and slow

• Like 1

It could very well be operator error.  Thanks for the input.  I did test just the blade out of the cutter to get to just cut the vinyl with out cutting too deep.  I also adjusted the blade pressure from 353 to 356 and 349 without any positive change.  It will cut the detail but seems to pull the finer pieces with the blade.  I will reset the blade again manually using your suggestions.  I am greatly encouraged by your statements that the cutter should be able to cut this decal.  I would have liked a better cutter but this is really just a hobby at this point and is hard to justify a greater investment.  I will try again and see if I can get better results. Thanks again.

The specs on the website say Max pressure/force is 350 G.  No one would need to cut regular sign vinyl at max force.  Have you tried a new blade?  Look at it and make sure the blade tip is not broken.

You should be able to cut pretty good with the SC but also keep in mind that the Graphtec makes the Cameo and Graphtec makes some of the best cutters out there.

what kind of vinyl are you cutting? 651, 751, etc.?

age and degree of blade?

are the cuts scoring or cutting into the backing?

what speed are you cutting at?

that's a lot of pressure that you're using, that's why I'm asking all my questions :D

8 hours ago, haumana said:

what kind of vinyl are you cutting? 651, 751, etc.?

age and degree of blade?

are the cuts scoring or cutting into the backing?

what speed are you cutting at?

that's a lot of pressure that you're using, that's why I'm asking all my questions :D

I'm using the 45 degree blade that came with the SC2 I received a couple weeks ago.  I am cutting Oracal 651.  The pressure was already set and the test cut looked good.  The text cut smooth with well defined corners. It has been a long time since I have setup a new cutter, Cameo not withstanding.  I appreciate the comments.  Skills don't always come as quickly as I would like, but I will succeed.  I didn't have time to work with it last night, this weekend I'll see if I can follow the tips to dial the blade and pressure in.  Thanks again.

A 60 degree blade is much better for detailed cutting.  Many people like myself only use 60 degree blades for everything we cut.  Also the fact that you are raising the blade force lifts the vinyl more. Too much blade/force will lift the vinyl. Sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil. thick.  You only cut with the very tip of the blade. It does not take that find of force to cut vinyl.  Vinyl cutters are not automatically set up for you/(force) coming from the factory.  You must set them to the vinyl that you are cutting.  My blade depth instructions posted above, work.  That much force that you are using, may have broken off your blade tip. Check the blade first. Start with a new one.  Always make sure that you have extra blades around. It doesn't take much to break one. You don't want to be left with out the correct blades to use. 

Also make sure the carriage head wheels are firmly down in the track. Sometimes they come out of the track during shipping. 

2 hours ago, Scratchthejeepguy said:

FYI, on my SC2 I run my cutter set to 400 speed, and 57 pressure.  I go down to like 100-200 on very small or detailed parts.

Thanks for the pressure tip.  I didn't realize the factory settings would be so far off.

I believe I have made progress. I used some old sign vinyl I got from US Cutter and got a good cut after readjusting the blade and changing the settings.  I probably still have too much blade out because my pressure is at 21 speed at 200 but it cut well on this vinyl.  You guys are fantastic.  I really appreciate everyone's input.  I loaded a pic of what was cut.

PXL_20210424_024544334.jpg

• Like 3