fractalflyer

TCP/IP and PORT for 15" TITAN?

Hello US Cutter friends!

I'm in need of a bit of help with my new TITAN 15" cutter. I'm using cutter software of my own sourcing, as I need to command the cutter in a very simple but particular ways to accomplish my cuts (basically just giving the machine HPGL code), but in order to do so I need to know the COM, TCP/IP, and which PORT to use for my new TITAN 15" cutter. Can any of you help me?

Thank you for any help you can provide. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Cheers,

-FF

Why?   You were sent cutting software with this cutter.  And it already uses HP-GL.   Most anyone on here uses professional cutting software with their cutters. The cutting software needs to adjust the blade offset. Blade over cut,  weed lines etc. Your bundled cutting software makes those changes to your vinyl cutter to make quality decals. etc.. Cutting software also imports and exports many more file formats. Cutting software has many different features for fixing vector designs, as well as vector raster designs. 

• Like 1

If you bought the machine new from USC, then it should've come with software VM or SCALP. Why do you need to source your own cutting software when one is already included? 

I'm guessing that you are on a Windows platform. The Titan will not use TCP/IP, it will use a COM Port and you can find which one Windows has assigned to it by looking in the Device Manager after plugging it in using a USB cable.

If this doesn't help, then you need to provide us with additional information:
- Windows or Mac, which version
- What cutting software are you wanting to use

• Like 1

I'm standing by with a bucket of popcorn for this thread continuation!Popcorn-Emoji-worried.png

• Like 1

A better question may be, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Someone might be able to tell you how to achieve the desired results using the standard software.

• Like 3

Hi Friends! 

Sorry for the delay, my email blocked the notifications that I received responses to my comment. Thank you all for your interest!

Let me give you a bit of backstory to help you understand my problem. I make flying wind powered kinetic sculptures, that use mylar as their airfoils (link below). I've been using a KNK Zing Orbit with my own HP-GL code to automate the cutting of un-stabilized mylar (the trick is to cut it slowly and only in 1 direction for the vertical component of cuts)(this took me many months to dial in, but I've got a system that's super reliable now). Sadly, KNK no longer makes cutters, and I need to expand my production capability, so I bought the next best cutter hardware on the market - the 15" Titan - and that's what brings me here.

So, I know that the hardware can support what I'm doing, all I need to do is figure out how to make it do so. The problem is, I cant seem to find a way to control the direction of cuts in VinylMaster, so I'm left trying to figure out how to feed the Titan my HP-GL code through the dev tool I got from KNK (it just sends HP-GL from a notepad file to the machine, easy peasy).

I've attached an example image of what my HP-GL code does, and the psuedo-code below for reference. I'm aware the Titan likely has its own coordinate system and flavor of HP-GL, so I'd have to also pin those commands and conversion factors down too.

(Referencing the cutting of the square in the attached image)

IN;
P0;
US1;
VS1;
FS14;
U X1, Y1
D X2, Y2
U X3, Y3
D X4, Y4
U X5, Y5
D X6, Y6
U X7, Y7
D X8, Y8
U Xorigin, Y Origin
@

I have yet to exhaust the entire list of possible COM ports with the KNK dev tool and the Titan, so I'll be sure to do that later today. Gotta run back to my day job now lol.

Thank you all again for your interest! I really do appreciate any help you provide.

Cheers,

-Jeff 

20210414_100825.jpg

Edited by fractalflyer
grammer

Interesting challenge. I have not played around with it, but I suspect the Vinyl Spooler, Import Cut File might be an option. When I have some time on my home computer I'll play around and see what I can come up with.

• Like 1

Update

I think I've got the dev tool connected to the Titan... but there's no way to know unless I give the Titan a command in its flavor of HP-GL. Does anyone know what the command for "move cutter +X by 2 inches" is? 

Cheers,

Edit - Thank you darcshadowI'd also be really interested to see if you can figure out a solution within the existing software. This would ideally be the best path forward.

-J

There are other  cutting softwares that actually do cutting path direction.  Even the old Signblazer has cutting path direction.  Or am I way off on your thinking?  People were using the Copam driver for the Titan vinyl cutter in Signblazer.

• Like 1

MZ Skeeter - could you provide a link to a location where I can download the old Signblazer or Copam drivers?

I searched the forum (link below), but all of those download sites make my anti-virus software alarm bells ring.

You must turn off your anti virus.  Signblazer is an unlimited trial. It has a patch in it. It is abandonware.  Owner passed away years ago.   Here is the Copam driver.  You also have to use version 8.eps files in Signblazer as the software has not been updated for years. But many, many people still use Signblazser, even with their newer cutters. Graphtecs, Titans, etc. 

https://support.uscutter.com/hc/en-us/sections/360007369351-Copam-Vinyl-Cutter-Series

• Like 1

Thanks MZ, I really mean that, but I'm very hesitant to do that. 

I'd like to wait until all other options are exhausted, because if that Signblazer works, then I'll still be in need of a tutorial for that software that shows me how to accomplish what I want to do. This being a state of affairs that is a step behind where I currently am (having already paid for VM, and have it running on my computer). 

This might be the only working file of Signblazer anymore.  UScutter updated their website and they no longer has Signblazer on it.

• Like 1

Well I only use Flexi software.  Which has path direction Automatic,  Reverse, Clockwise and Counter clockwise..  Have you contacted Vinyl Master to see if they have a version that changes Path direction?      

• Like 1

I do see in different versions that there are these.  But I don't know what they do. Look in your HELP tutorial at top of layout screen.  But it does show them for all versions.   You may also need to do an update to your software. 

Vinylmaster path.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, any version of SBE that is sourced from USC or someone reputable from the USC Forum, will trigger your antivirus. It's abandonware due to the fact the software design has long passed on. Fortunately, there was a member who was able to work on the file and allow for users to install and use it beyond it's trial period. Because of that, antivirus programs assume that it's a virus and/or malware. 

• Like 1

It pretty much shows you what to check in the cutter set up on the left.  Normal,  Clockwise, counter clock wise.

signblazer path.JPG

• Like 1

That is really useful info MZ and Haumana, thank you both!

Unfortunately, it looks like the "normal" direction in the SignBlazer 6.0, if indicated by the arrows on the cutter, is the opposite direction that I need. In order to reliably cut un-stabilized mylar, it is needed to pull the material into the wheels of the cutter and thus also pull it passed the knife. A combination of "anti-normal" cutting with movements in the normal direction to the next pattern is what is needed. I don't think that one setting of cutting direction will yield the results I want, but I'm happy to investigate while other leads are developing.   

What is unstablized mylar?  And why do you have to cut it at this special direction?   Most any vinyl cutter will start cutting at the begining of how the design is created.   I cut very large designs some 10 ft long,  in my software. I don't give any direction,  my vinyl cutter may travel 4 ft before it starts cutting, then it comes back to finish the job.  How the design is created, is what determines how the vinyl cutter cuts.   Then you also have OPTIMIZE cutting order.  I do see that in Vinyl Master.  You choose, how much gets cut in the first section, then it travels to the 2nd section, section by section until you are at the end of the design.  This avoids all the travel from the front clear to the back and back and forth.  It's cut section by section to the end. 

My Flexi software has reverse.  4 Options. 

• Like 1

If you are cutting all the way through the mylar, then a carrier sheet is needed, if that's the case, then you have set the point of origin independently of where the actual corner for mylar is. Actually, carrier sheet or not, the cutter should have the ability to reset it's point of origin wherever you position the blade carriage.

• Like 1

Depending on how your draw the box can change how it is cut. If you draw the box as four individual lines and don't join the nodes you might be able to get the results you're after.

As for HP-GL flavor. My understanding is that all the basic commands are common, it's only extra features a cutter has that might use different/custom commands. But the standard move commands should be the same as what you're use to working with.

• Like 2

Thank you all! VM has responded with a message that mirrors Darcshadow's comments

"This can be easily done if you use the following two options:

0?ui=2&ik=f4f119030a&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-f:1697077260533059993&th=178d3ac6e6775199&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-PTujesLOf9igxvtAP-pR9M23vWFv__rkrWv6U8ER34AlxjAU1gIRA2QkFmyShwz5n6UZZpmYfhWkoPIqSSe5y5FODaqA1N_F7XeTzTh5S_wHjLdiSWjc2ZDk&disp=emb

Ensure that the cutting order method is "None"

0?ui=2&ik=f4f119030a&attid=0.3&permmsgid=msg-f:1697077260533059993&th=178d3ac6e6775199&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_JRZDXVExPHUN2RUA6d0tdmH5Ey1S_g4a83QqAbUlczhc267yK8Qc7b8gUjwg8L1ounC-Aco68TfR5tDC3Ry6qcuUIDbQiIyCTdYt-Lu79_Z-dFHf1mnaEUKo&disp=emb

Set the cutting direction.

The software will use the orientation and order that the shapes appear in the artwork.

If you want to reverse the direction of a line, go into node edit mode, click on the line and there is an option in the second row of tools to reverse the direction.

To change the order of each segment, you can use the Send to Front/Back, etc"

I've got a lot of stuff to try out this weekend regarding this project, so I'll be sure to report back with my findings!

Cheers :)

• Like 2

Great, hope you get it all working.

The two images you tried to post didn't come through, were they just screen shots?

• Like 1