Sign in to follow this  
Hawaii Kai

CE7000 Double cutting

Hello, pulling my hair out over here. Had some graphics professionally made for print and cut. They added a cool offset that I like and want to use. When I save it and cut the cutter always goes over the cut twice. This adds time and messes with the original cut. It's not acceptable for the job I need to do.

I deleted their cut path and made an offset of my own (off of their graphics) in Illustrator and that cut just fine (once). Then I added their cut back in and it cut twice. Then I offset their cut path, deleted their cut path and again it cut twice. I have never had this issue and I've done this a lot. Any ideas? Thank you. 

I used to run into that occasionally with customer supplied artwork that was created in illy - not sure why but I would just delete their cut line and recreate it in the same spot in flexi 

• Like 1

Take a look in your layers stack and you will probably find an unfilled bject (object with no fill color). Certain operations in Illustrator can cause an extra layer to be included within the design. Most often these are in areas that are considered open "holes" within a design but I have seen them outside in some situations. It is rare that custom vectors are built to what I would call "cut ready" state. Unless someone is in the business they don't realize that cutting programs will still recognize lines and curves that have no fill or stroke and it CAN cause issues. Theoretically if you are cutting by color you would not accidentally get those objects but it can get messy pretty easy. 

The unfilled open holes problem in Illustrator most often comes from using the "merge" command and it is therefore best to use the "unite" command instead whenever possible. The "merge" command is very similar to "unite" but does not remove or ignore any internal objects within a compound path. Just one of Illustrators exhaustive options for specific situations. In older versions of Illy the 'merge" was immediately visible but I notice that in the current cloud version they have half hidden it which is nice IMO. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hawaii Kai said:

Hello, pulling my hair out over here. Had some graphics professionally made for print and cut. They added a cool offset that I like and want to use. When I save it and cut the cutter always goes over the cut twice. This adds time and messes with the original cut. It's not acceptable for the job I need to do.

I deleted their cut path and made an offset of my own (off of their graphics) in Illustrator and that cut just fine (once). Then I added their cut back in and it cut twice. Then I offset their cut path, deleted their cut path and again it cut twice. I have never had this issue and I've done this a lot. Any ideas? Thank you. 

I am not 100% sure but have a very strong feeling that when you put their cut in it has hidden layers. I fix it in the following way:

In Illustrator, After I am done with the merger command and have got the artwork approved by the client to cut, I ungroup the object. Do a right click on the artwork and click Ungroup. Then I pick the artwork up using the select tool (Remember, do not make the window around, use select tool (arrow)) and move the artwork a little bit away from the artboard, Then make a window on to the artboard and you will see the shapes that have been doubled up. Delete them and reposition your artwork.

It happens with me whenever I do the party decals involving Fancy fonts. All internal shapes get doubled when I create outlines from the font.

You can PM me the file if you want me to have a look at it.

One more thing buddy, when you open this file in illustrator, please do no tuse the command Object>>> Path>>> Outline stroke as it will create the double shapes again

• Like 1

nice catch. instead of a single vector line, it created vector line for the inside and the outside of the line.

5 hours ago, haumana said:

nice catch. instead of a single vector line, it created vector line for the inside and the outside of the line.

Yes buddy. When you add a stoke to some path, it halves and adds equally to each side of the path. So when you convert the path to the outlines, it creates each half stroke to either side of the path as a separate shape. 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2021 at 2:49 AM, kainth.c.s said:

Yes buddy. When you add a stoke to some path, it halves and adds equally to each side of the path. So when you convert the path to the outlines, it creates each half stroke to either side of the path as a separate shape. 

Yeah that's exactly it. If you don't want the hassle you can do your outlines with path offset rather than stroke and save some time. I actually use this Illy feature a lot (use the stroked outlines I mean) to save time when building two color designs that I want to have overlap and let Illy do the line split for the lower color and the outline fits nicely and allows for some shrinkage on tee shirt designs. So it can save time when used on purpose. 

• Like 2