LMorgan

Can I import from SCAL to VM cut?

I had an SC with SCAL4 on it and sold it. Bought a new SC2 with VM cut. I can not for the life of me figure out if the CUT software is capable ot importing the files I already had done on SCAL. I can click on import and highlight the file on my saved projects but nothing happens. I can try and drag and drop onto a new page and it looks like it will drop it but nothing shows up. I just spend 2 hours yesterday on the phone with the VM customer support getting my WIN10 to allow the software to install, He had to go thru a lot of steps to create new files and find why it was not allowing it to happen. WAY WAY out of what I could understand. I don't want to spend 2 more hours on the phone only to be told I need a higher level of the VM software. I did look on the VM website and when it comes to import/export on their list of what the different levels will do it was not exactly straighforward. Did try finding my exact question on this forum but so far nothing recent that I could find. So could one of you experts please tell me if the software is the issue? I have watched their videos and used the online manual to try and find out and so far I am batting zero

27 minutes ago, LMorgan said:

I had an SC with SCAL4 on it and sold it. Bought a new SC2 with VM cut. I can not for the life of me figure out if the CUT software is capable ot importing the files I already had done on SCAL. I can click on import and highlight the file on my saved projects but nothing happens. I can try and drag and drop onto a new page and it looks like it will drop it but nothing shows up. I just spend 2 hours yesterday on the phone with the VM customer support getting my WIN10 to allow the software to install, He had to go thru a lot of steps to create new files and find why it was not allowing it to happen. WAY WAY out of what I could understand. I don't want to spend 2 more hours on the phone only to be told I need a higher level of the VM software. I did look on the VM website and when it comes to import/export on their list of what the different levels will do it was not exactly straighforward. Did try finding my exact question on this forum but so far nothing recent that I could find. So could one of you experts please tell me if the software is the issue? I have watched their videos and used the online manual to try and find out and so far I am batting zero

always export your work as .eps and then you can import into most every vector program

• Like 1

Either Save As or Export in the other software (usually from the File menu) and then Import (File menu) or Drag and Drop into VinylMaster.

Also .ai and .pdf are good formats. 

• Like 1

I have been able to copy the files over to VM but as soon as I try to open them the SCAL comes up and tells me I need to activate the license. I no longer have the license as I sold it with the SC cutter. What next?

If you no longer have SCAL you are out of luck. When you say you copy them over, you're just moving them around on your hard drive, that doesn't change the file. SCAL uses a proprietary file format and no other programs I'm aware of can open it. It's too late, now, but moving forward you should always save/export your designs to a common file format such as EPS. PDF and SVG are other formats most programs can open as well. 

• Like 2

Just a thought, have you attempted using the TRIAL version? I know it won't allow cutting but how about exporting?

(ADDED --- I did the download, installed TRIAL of Scal4 ----   it will NOT export a design.)

Edited by slice&dice
No, cannot export with trial version

Maybe find someone with SCAL willing to open and re-export your files into a usable option for a small nominal fee? 

4 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Maybe find someone with SCAL willing to open and re-export your files into a usable option for a small nominal fee? 

Imagine if there are hundreds upon hundreds of files? I wonder what 'small nominal fee' would someone take for all those hours of work (no way to batch this job, have to do one by one).

16 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Imagine if there are hundreds upon hundreds of files? I wonder what 'small nominal fee' would someone take for all those hours of work (no way to batch this job, have to do one by one).

Good point, probably be cheaper to just buy the lowest version and do it 

SCAL 4 is $149. -- I downloaded the TRIAL version just now, it will NOT produce an export of the design, only the gives the word 'demo'

love.svg

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.