Sign in to follow this  
Wilson-Flyer

Scan and Cut-A tangent for Discussion

Given that the Prismcut features a built-in camera as opposed to a laser alignment system, I find the opportunity for a scan and cut machine similar to the Brother offerings intriguing, only on a much larger scale and with a lot more power.

I wonder if this feature would interest others besides me? I also wonder if there's anything out there about how to interface with the camera. I assume the cutter itself reverts to basic HPGL at some point.

It seems logical that this would be a feature easily added by the manufacturer and would really enhance the market appeal of this machine. Am I way out of bounds here? Anybody else like to see this feature/software interface added or have reason to think it's not possible? Just a little out of the weedbox thinking.

Take a look at the Skycut, vinyl cutter.   The Prismcut is a rebranded Skycut.  It's been out a while. 

• Thanks 1

Wilson-Flyer - I would be sooo into this.
I have a brother Scan'n'cut - sadly it's an amazing feature and horrible performance.
I bought it to replace our 9 year old Cricut and it can't cut nearly as well. Horrible and ZERO help from Brother or the service centers. Z E R O....
(We sold the Cricut before we figured out that the Brother would not be good enough). It's sad really - the machine hardware appears to be able to do amazing things.

So I just bought  P20 to hopefully create a workflow and quality level that is better.
I'm stuck because I can't get the print head aligned well enough for what I would like to do.

IE> We print on 4" vinyl in a thermal printer and I want to take a 4" wide print, stick it to a mat and then align the cut on the machine.
Ideally, using the camera to find a fixed spot on the print would be perfect. Using the ARMS registration marks eats up too much material, cutting our yield in half.
Similarly, we often want to cut a letter-size sheet very close to the edge, but this seems impossible.

Even more basic than above, even if I just want to cut a pattern 3.75" on 4" wide tape, I need to get the head accurately positioned.

What I don't understand is why we can't use manual mark locations - or even marks INSIDE the artwork.
There is no reason that the marks have to be on the outside, assume the machine holds registration, once it knows where it is, it should be able to cut anywhere.

I did however, find this info on what I assume is the same machine with different firmware:
See page 62 of this manual:
Sky-Cut C16:  "Set the origin using the camera"?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aXG1HCRKBA0eNh237InLjvMB0T0n1Whl/view?usp=sharing

On 3/15/2022 at 8:29 PM, Sepp said:

Wilson-Flyer - I would be sooo into this.
I have a brother Scan'n'cut - sadly it's an amazing feature and horrible performance.
I bought it to replace our 9 year old Cricut and it can't cut nearly as well. Horrible and ZERO help from Brother or the service centers. Z E R O....
(We sold the Cricut before we figured out that the Brother would not be good enough). It's sad really - the machine hardware appears to be able to do amazing things.

So I just bought  P20 to hopefully create a workflow and quality level that is better.
I'm stuck because I can't get the print head aligned well enough for what I would like to do.

IE> We print on 4" vinyl in a thermal printer and I want to take a 4" wide print, stick it to a mat and then align the cut on the machine.
Ideally, using the camera to find a fixed spot on the print would be perfect. Using the ARMS registration marks eats up too much material, cutting our yield in half.
Similarly, we often want to cut a letter-size sheet very close to the edge, but this seems impossible.

Even more basic than above, even if I just want to cut a pattern 3.75" on 4" wide tape, I need to get the head accurately positioned.

What I don't understand is why we can't use manual mark locations - or even marks INSIDE the artwork.
There is no reason that the marks have to be on the outside, assume the machine holds registration, once it knows where it is, it should be able to cut anywhere.

I did however, find this info on what I assume is the same machine with different firmware:
See page 62 of this manual:
Sky-Cut C16:  "Set the origin using the camera"?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aXG1HCRKBA0eNh237InLjvMB0T0n1Whl/view?usp=sharing

All plotters use registration marks outside of the image to cut and need a margin around the image that I have used, but then mostly I have used solvent printers and some pigment based for garments.  Curious why you would want to print registration marks within your image where they would be visable in the final product?