Sign in to follow this  
firemalt

Need pricing help on my first coroplast order

Yup... you just line them up, and apply a different color, after the first colors dries, of course  :)

Certainly you can use the same screen for different colors to an extent.

Tape out the areas you don't want colored, clean the screen, tape out the color you just used, untape the next color you want to run and so on.

But you have to have experience to use this method. Easy when you know how.

You can also burn more than one image in the screen allowing you to capitalize on set-up/screen charges. Like slopchops says, takes a bit of experience, but can increase production (especially with frequently repeated orders) and reduce costs. Especially if you are outsourcing your screen sources.

That's a great video for people who already know screen printing, for maybe 2-5 shirts but it doesn't talk about off contact, Also what happens when you have lets say 100 coroplast signs, like the thread first started. It didn't show that the ink for coroplast signs is different than the ones for shirts. Also that you need to add an aditive in the coroplast ink to help it dry (because you can't use a spot or conveyor dryer to cure the signs) it would bake the signs and melt them. The video also didn't show when the ink moves on the under part of the screen and the screen has to be sprayed with ***A Paint thinner!*** To romove the excess ink.....This would have the smaller pieces coming off, guess what recut the vinyl retape and just can't express the Paper Towels you need to keep in handy.

Well thanks... last nigt, I started kinda looking at screen printing kits, but now I think you just talked/typed me out of the idea, lol.

Sounds like screening takes a lot of trial and error while practicing for someone new?

Question #1 For coroplast, does the ink have to be dried via some type of heater, or can it just dry on it's own? If so, does this cause the ink to not have a lifespan as long as ink that was exposed to a heater?

Question #2 When using ink for coroplast, does something need to be added to keep it waterproof, and keep it from sun fade?

Question #3 If I was to make my own frames, is there different screening material for signs vs. shirts?

Question #1 For coroplast, does the ink have to be dried via some type of heater, or can it just dry on it's own? If so, does this cause the ink to not have a lifespan as long as ink that was exposed to a heater?

Question #2 When using ink for coroplast, does something need to be added to keep it waterproof, and keep it from sun fade?

Question #3 If I was to make my own frames, is there different screening material for signs vs. shirts?

Answers: Q1: The ink that is used for coroplast dryd on its own. Takes between 30mins to 40mins. *Unless you put the additive into the ink. 10-15 mins. ***This also means you have to move fast on the signs as the ink starts to dry on the screen. That can cause problems if you have to clean the vinyl positive.

Answer Q2: The ink is pretty durable. It is made for those situations/conditions.

Answer Q3: The material is all the same. Although make sure you have a great amount of pressure tester of some sort to make sure the mesh is very tight. I ussually take my screens in to get remeshed as I have tried it when I first started and got soft spots in the mesh. This cost about $8-10 around here in Dallas. Depending on the frame size.

I used the quote part because of so many questions. You can use either enamel or lacquer for screening. Both take different films. For a beginner use enamel until you get the hang of it and you need no special dryer. The sun will fade anything after a while, even vinyl.

Black is your longest lasting color.

I think you can use the same mesh/nylon for the screens.

But you will have to use different paints. You can chew up a $1,000 in a hurry by buying all kinds of colors and brands.

Take it easy until you get a little experience.