Sign in to follow this  
ta2smitty

SC(1st gen) cutting problems

I've had my SC(1st gen) for 3-4 yrs and recently mid-cut it'll start cutting a straight vertical(sometimes horizontal) line endlessly until I stop the machine manually. Lately, it's been doing it more. I'm debating replacing the cutter altogether but I keep reading bout the Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter and wondering if it'll help out. I also can't cut more then 2-3 designs at once with out the cutter stopping mid cut.( possible memory problem?) This machine has worked flawlessly prior to these issues.

Those cutters have limited memory.  3 designs may very well be too much data.  Also hopefully you have the cutter grounded to the stand. Static can cause those problems.  Try running the same design with the pen tool, if it completes, it could very well be static.  Spray the area with static guard, wipe down with dryer sheets.  Your cutter and vinyl.  A Tripp-lite Keyspan adapter is a much better connection over the cheap Chinese chipset in value cutters. 

I have the machine on a table top. I use the anti static kit ( with the magnets and rope)so I don't believe it's static. For instance last when I try cutting multiple designs(5+) it'll do the random cutting but if it's change it to 2-3 designs it'll cut them with no problem. I think I might try the Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter and see if that fixes the problem.

It all depends on how much data (nodes) are in those designs. The SC cutter has limited memory. You should reset the cutter after each cut.  The newer SC2 has more memory.