Craftygirl

Sandblasting Powdercoated Yeti's

Hey!  I am new to sandblasting and really would like to start doing powder coated yetis.  I have experimented a little bit but keep running into trouble so I have a few quesitons:

1. I use a cricut to cut my stencils what vinyl should I be using?  I have tried Oracle 813 stencil and Cricut permanent vinyl both of which didn't stick that well.  Should I be using something else or prepping with more than just alcohol cleaning?

2. What medium should I be blasting with?  I have tried glass bead (I think I got to fine of a grit) and I have tried walnut (too coarse of a grit)!  

3. Any general tips and tricks you guys use would be so helpful to this newbie!!!!

Ahhhhhh, a crafty newbie! Welcome.

If you have cleaned your surface well with rubbing (70% isopropyl) alcohol but your vinyl is still not sticking, try leaving the transfer tape on the vinyl for a bit of time after applying it onto the surface.

Alternatively, you might try a product called RapidTac2. I use it on windows when installing decals, it cuts any ammonia residue from spray cleaners like windex.

• Like 1

I blast with aluminum oxide. It's a harder material and will last longer then glass bead or walnut. Take note though, it can damage thin pieces of metal. However, for cups you shouldn't have a problem. As for grit, that is personal preference really. The courser the grit the more "textured" the metal will be. I forget what I have but I think it's like 120.

As for vinyl to use, I just use scrap Green Star or Oracle 651. So long as you're not trying to do fine detail work, generic vinyl has worked well enough. My problem is cutting through the powder coat can take awhile and I often blast through the vinyl. Granted this is self applied powder, seems like I recall stuff on the cups from the store was easier to cut through. 

• Like 2

A trick that I would do for one of the local volleyball clubs, they were applying 651 to plastic water jugs, the type that is shiny and mildly textured. What seemed to help get a more last adhesion was to hit it with a hair blow dryer for a little bit, just to warm up the adhesive a bit. I noticed it stuck a little better through their washing and rinsing.

• Like 2

Hello All, 

I too am a newbie, question what is the best product to use to sandblast Yeti's, glass etc.?

The best is actual blast media, but for simple etching on glass any vinyl will work. If you really get into it with varying depths and glass carving you'll need something better.

Depending on the quality and thickness of the powder coat simple vinyl can work for that as well but it's more of a challenge and good PC doesn't blast as easily as glass. I only have a simply bench top cabinet and a small air pump so I've given up on trying to blast PC stuff. I just don't have the setup for it. My local library has a laser that is free to use though and I've done a few cups in it.

14 hours ago, darcshadow said:

... My local library has a laser that is free to use though and I've done a few cups in it.

I'm envious. The closest thing we have to a public laser is if you're a member of the local Makerspace, which isn't that cheap to be a member of. Before I took the plunge and bought a laser machine myself, I reached out to them and asked if there were any classes for it, or if there are other members there that would be willing to teach me how to use it. I got an abrupt, "No, and no." That was the extent of the communication. A little Aloha would have gone a long way. Doesn't exactly make me want to cross the street to spit on the building if it were on fire, you know what I mean? 

Our local libraries only offer up free computers to use to connect to the internet. That is the only technology they offer up <_<.

• Sad 1