viol8ion

FC8600-160 "not enough length.."

This started recently.  Files ripped thru Onyx Thrive 12, printed on HP570, not that that makes any difference. 

When I scan the sheet from the first mark, display says: Off Scale"  then to the left mark it says "Working" then to second mark on right "Off Scale and so on".

Most often it then cuts properly. 

I have 2 1/2" of media to the right of the pinch, and 2' to the left of the pinch. I have at least 4 inches front and back from the cut area. 

The machine scans the entire sheet no problem. Then it returns to front right and screen error: "EO4013 ARMS Not Enough Length in +Y" and fails.  If it fails once, it will never cut, but I can have another sheet of the same exact print and it will have the Off Scale errors but will cut. 

[EDIT] if I have a file of circles or rectangles with no real orientation, I can put the sheet in backwards, and often it will cut if it doesn't cut with the proper orientation.

I messed with sensor adjust, and even factory reset but this will NOT go away.  I cleaned the sensor as best I could - no way to actually reach it.

This happens on various media, with gloss or matte lam or no lam at all. I am at wit's end and Graphtec customer support is absolutely worthless. 

That link has nothing in it that works to fix the problem, I found that the first day.

This only started this week.  And I do have enough space, ibn fact I have more space on one sheet that will not cut than I have had on others that do cut.

I had four sheets of the same exact cuts, same exact dimensions and three cut successfully, and one refused to cut at all.

I get "Off Scale" on EVERY sheet, which never happened before, and this Off Scale displays from the first registration mark front and right.

And 90% of the time it cuts - but when it decides it doesn't like a sheet than it refuses to cut.  However, as I said, if the sheet consists of circles or rectangles that are symmetric, then I can insert the sheet upside down, and it will almost always cut even with the error when fed properly.

I am only a volunteer here, and I provided the info for your error you provided.  Everyone on this forum are volunteers. Nothing more that I can add.  Possibly get a different tech support at Graphtec. :D

• Like 1

We bit the bullet and place a service call to a local distributor.$260 later and I will post tomorrow what the fix is.

BTW - Graphtec customer service SUCKS - they failed to even simply respond to two emails at all.  And the telephone number on their site is ONLY for dealers, not the public so they do not answer or respond until you call enough times that they will then tell you to bugger off and call a distributor.

MZ Skeeter, I understand how forums work, My reply was not snide or anything, simply stating facts trying to find answers. Not intending to insult - sorry if you took it that way.  I spend 5 days exploring this forum and Signs101 and Graphtec's site and bored myself out of my head on youtube videos and changed almost every setting under the ARMs menu before posting here hoping somebody out there might have had a similar issue.

Just guess here. Take the sheet that will cut, and the sheet that will not cut and put them together and hold them up to a light. Probably a very bright one. See if there is a difference in how close the marks are to the back edge. Are they the same?

I don't have an FC, but I do have a CE. The 4 inches may not be enough, or is very close to the limit. It is not from the rollers to the laser, but from the rear sensor to the laser.

SOLVED!

Had a Graphtec tech out this morning. He watched my methods and apparently everything I was taught was wrong! LOL.

So - when I would insert the sheet,  and line up with the corner mark, I would then select "Origin".  I was taught by a guy who was taught by a guy who was taught .. you get the idea.

Well, in most instances selecting "Origin" works, but it will almost always give the "Off Scale" warning.  The proper method is to line up with the corner mark, and then hit cut from Onyx Cut Server - BINGO! 

But he updated and checked everything out - and the machine is now working fine.

Also - on severely long sheets such as the 12 foot sheets I was cutting he showed my on Onyx Thrive 12 Cut Server where to set up the cut in segments rather than the entire sheet. 

Thanks for everyone's input -  and maybe this will help someone in the future.

• Like 2

glad you got it worked our and replied so others can find the answer in the future

• Like 1