Sign in to follow this  
xdesign305

Sales Tax?

Hi everybody!

First, let me start off by saying that I think this forum is great! I have the following questions. How many of you guys run your business from home? I'm only asking because I run mine from home. How do your customers react when they know? Do you guys charge sales tax? I feel like customers think that because you are a home-based business they won't get charged sales tax. I'm in Broward County, Florida. I'm just curious about how everyone else handles sales tax. I know having a physical shop, customers have NO problem paying sales tax. I think it's funny how people think. 

I run my business from home, but I am on a sales venue site.  The site automatically charges the customer sales tax for their state and send it in on my behalf.  No problems.   There are not many places that you can purchase anymore that you don't get charged sales tax at purchase.   Customers don't know where I work from.   I have been in business since 2006.  Everything I do is online. 

• Like 1

Collecting and filing your Sales Tax returns monthly requires that you actually HAVE a business licensed and maintain a  Sales Tax account with the State of Florida.

When I first started doing signs, my primary step was to register with the Department of Assessments and Taxation. They wanted to know what the name of my business was (if it is a DBA, there are steps to follow for that "trade Name" designation).
I am just a standard Sole Proprietorship, and used my FEIN -- Federal Employee Identification Number --  to set up this Assessments/Tax Account with  a C.R.N.   Central Registration Number.

Following so far?

Now, you go with your FEIN and CRN, over to the SUT. (Sales&Use Tax collection agency). Now, the Florida Dep't. of Revenue wants to see your SALES REPORTS usually monthly, but if it's a small figure, they might go along with bi-monthly or bi-annually).

As for charging sales tax, it's your choice how to collect the tax for the State. Some people just figure it into the total cost, instead of breaking the 6% figure down separately.  (For instance, if I charge 22.65 for a decal, my invoice will just read "$24. including Sales Tax")

I have a registered business with the state and county, I also have a EIN number. I was just asking because a have lost a few customers because of the whole tax thing. I just find it funny how people think. I was thinking about it the same way as you slice. Just have it included in the price.