My Graphtec CE6000-40 won't close the holes in this "e". I noticed it only happens when that is the very first "hole" that is cut. Every "hole" after that closes just fine. Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening? S7, F7, A1, Tangential (tried all 3 settings with the same issue).

I am using 60 degree blades and I followed the instruction found on this forum to set the blade. I have enough blade out so that it just barely marks the backing paper when I firmly drag it across the vinyl.

image0.png

You should just barely even see or feel the blade tip out of the blade holder.   The correct combination is the least amount of blade possible to cut, then more force. When you think the blade is not even out enough to cut, it is about right. Then  raise the force. What does the Graphtec TEST cut look like right from the cutter?  That is what you go by.  The triangle and square.  And Blade offset is ZERO.  Add a little overcut in your cutting software.   No mention of which cutting software you are using on which operating system.  How fast are you running that cutter and how small are the letters.  We see people coming here with those kind of problems flying at speeds of 30..Small text you should run very slow. I have never had my Graphtec past speed 6 and never a problem.  No reason to run that fast. It just creates more wear and tear on your cutter. Where is the lettering coming from? Typed text from software or some imported traced file?   Is this a new cutter to you or what?   Did the problem just start? 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 12:57 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

You should just barely even see or feel the blade tip out of the blade holder.   The correct combination is the least amount of blade possible to cut, then more force. When you think the blade is not even out enough to cut, it is about right. Then  raise the force. What does the Graphtec TEST cut look like right from the cutter?  That is what you go by.  The triangle and square.  And Blade offset is ZERO.  Add a little overcut in your cutting software.   No mention of which cutting software you are using on which operating system.  How fast are you running that cutter and how small are the letters.  We see people coming here with those kind of problems flying at speeds of 30..Small text you should run very slow. I have never had my Graphtec past speed 6 and never a problem.  No reason to run that fast. It just creates more wear and tear on your cutter. Where is the lettering coming from? Typed text from software or some imported traced file?   Is this a new cutter to you or what?   Did the problem just start? 

Speed is set at 7. I tried a slower speed as well. The blade tip barely sticks out, I can run my finger over it without feeling very much. It is typed text on Adobe Illustrator and I am using the Cutting Master 4 plugin. This is a new cutter to me. Yes, the problem just started. 

12 minutes ago, mikehunguyen said:

Speed is set at 7. I tried a slower speed as well. The blade tip barely sticks out, I can run my finger over it without feeling very much. It is typed text on Adobe Illustrator and I am using the Cutting Master 4 plugin. This is a new cutter to me. Yes, the problem just started. 

You never showed the TEST cut.  Also have your tried adding overcut?   New cutter to you,.but is it a brand new cutter? If brand new cutter, contact Graphtec tech support. 

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You never showed the TEST cut.  Also have your tried adding overcut?   New cutter to you,.but is it a brand new cutter? If brand new cutter, contact Graphtec tech support. 

This is not a brand new cutter. I purchased a pre-owned one. Here is my test cut with .004 overcut.

170115E1-A377-4FA7-A278-40EF8559D9AC.jpeg

That's not good.   Have you looked at the teflon cutting strip to make sure there is not scratches and gouges in it?  Your test cut should look like this.  Turn the overcut back off. And TEST.     Did you see the cutter cutting good before you bought it?   Make sure that the settings on the cutter are the same as they are in your cutting software.  I always control my Graphtec from the Graphtec cutting controller. 

test cut.JPG

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever used the overcut on my graphtec. ???

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

That's not good.   Have you looked at the teflon cutting strip to make sure there is not scratches and gouges in it?  Your test cut should look like this.  Turn the overcut back off. And TEST.     Did you see the cutter cutting good before you bought it?   Make sure that the settings on the cutter are the same as they are in your cutting software.  I always control my Graphtec from the Graphtec cutting controller. 

test cut.JPG

Yes, the cutter had no issues until recently. I replaced the new cutting strip and will post another test picture with overcut turned off.

2 hours ago, mikehunguyen said:

That test cut was with a brand new 60 degree blade.

Something not right, what is the vinyl?

52 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Something not right, what is the vinyl?

Oracal 651 Matte Black. Here is a test I just ran using HTV. Looks like the “x” on the bottom left corner of the triangle is gone now.

F4B2BF81-38C5-4A3A-B9E3-D9C8F0BF77DC.jpeg

That cut looks better, but there's still issues. Your corners are not square and the triangle points are a little off as well. Cut looks kind of deep as well, but that's hard to judge from a photo. Do you have a pen attachment? what does the test cut look like with a pen?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

That cut looks better, but there's still issues. Your corners are not square and the triangle points are a little off as well. Cut looks kind of deep as well, but that's hard to judge from a photo. Do you have a pen attachment? what does the test cut look like with a pen?

I don’t have a pen attachment. The depth is set so that the backing paper is barely marked. 

52 minutes ago, mikehunguyen said:

. The depth is set so that the backing paper is barely marked. 

That doesn't mean anything. You can have the blade too far out and still be using a light force and it will only slightly make a mark on waxed paper backing.  What is your force?  Back the blade back until it won't cut. Then just add a little back. Then use the force of the machine to cut with.   Machine off.  Put your vinyl in, Put the blade holder over the vinyl. If you push the blade holder down and the blade goes all the way the vinyl and backing, You have too much blade exposed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

That doesn't mean anything. You can have the blade too far out and still be using a light force and it will only slightly make a mark.  What is your force?  Back the blade back until it won't cut. Then just add a little back. Then use the force of the machine to cut with. 

Force is 12 for Oracal 651. 10 for HTV.

Most people can use the same force settings for HTV and Oracal 651.  The trick is to cut with the very tip of the blade. Vinyl is only 2.5-3 mill thick.

• Like 1

You might try a new blade holder .   That definitely not up to a graphtec standard for cuts 

21 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

You might try a new blade holder .   That definitely not up to a graphtec standard for cuts 

Tried a new blade holder and the test cuts are looking good. I still have the issue where the first “circular shape” is open instead of closed. I remedied this by adding circle at the top of the file so that it cuts that circle first and the rest of the job comes out clean. I still need to find a solution for the first circle. 

show us the test cuts with the new blade holder and blade.  Doesn't that cutter do 3  Test cuts in a row.  With -1, 0, and +1 offset?  User manual shows it.   Have you read your user manual about Simple and Normal mode? And how to make those 3 Test cuts?    Also in your background settings>. Initial blade position> should be outside

36 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

show us the test cuts with the new blade holder and blade.  Doesn't that cutter do 3  Test cuts in a row.  With -1, 0, and +1 offset?  User manual shows it.   Have you read your user manual about Simple and Normal mode? And how to make those 3 Test cuts?  

40CB0AE6-7497-4D47-BCB6-C8E15CB448F4.thumb.jpeg.2dbe1daab3a1e3680db00320a8333d29.jpeg
This is the offset test cut. All 3 were messed up on the bottom left. On the force test cut, only the first triangle (far right) has the x on the bottom left.

Pic above: Offset Test

Pic below: Force Test

BDB06CFA-3D2B-4378-9C25-AF5A8C8BC22C.thumb.jpeg.3e425d53a3760f1ae6f9983da9ea2f35.jpeg

I still think you have too much blade exposed. First 2. are not even closed. I asked you before to turn the cutter off,   media holder closed,Push the blade holder down firmly, (not enough to break the blade tip, but put a little pressure on it) does the blade go all the way thru the backing?  What happened?  If the blade depth is correct, it can't go thru the wax paper backing. 

29 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I still think you have too much blade exposed. First 2. are not even closed. I asked you before to turn the cutter off,   media holder closed,Push the blade holder down firmly, does the blade go all the way thru the backing?  What happened?  If the blade depth is correct, it can't go thru. 

I did what you asked and it just barely marked the backing paper. It did not go through. I did this 3 times. 

4511DE90-0FEB-49DE-87CA-B73177157988.png

All previous cuts were done without a cutting mat and with a brand new cutting strip. I added the vinyl to a cutting mat and here are the results of the offset test.

FAAE8961-59B4-45BF-8375-DBEFBE2E0897.jpeg

Have you tried adding a drop or 2 of light oil in the blade holder?  Blade must spin freely. Nothing more that I can add.  Graphtec is your tech support.  Maybe someone else here has an idea.