Gloss Boss

first attempt at multicolor project

How do I separate an image that I imported, so that I can send it to the cutter by color ? so if I had 4 different colors I would isolate all of 1 color first , I assume?  and then send  that 1 color to be cut ? then do the same for next color so that I can load the cutter plotter with the corresponding vinyl color? I apologize if I am not using the proper terminology I am brand new to this . My husband bought me the cutter plotter and heat press for xmas and I am having so much fun importing images and sending them to the cutter plotter and then making projects with the HTV.  However I would like to be able to learn how to make multi color images for shirts and other projects . 

Thank you so much 

Your software separates the color. There are Vinyl Master tutorials for this.  Go to the top of your layout screen. HELP, > Tutorials>Keyword Search> Color separate

Also be aware that multi colored images are not always cut ready and you could have several layers of color on top of each other. Layering vinyl is ok, but the more layers you have the stiffer it will be. 

• Like 3

darcshadow is exactly correct. If you are doing multi colors it's usually a good idea to build the color layers with a little overlap but not a full stack. That may not make total sense until you do a few. Additionally, HTV will do all sorts of shrinking and moving when unde the heat and so gettting everything aligned perfect can be troubling. There are tricks of the trade. For instance I do a lot of 2 color team jersey numbers with a base color (inside) and an outer outline color.  If you just stack them like you would sign vinyl with the outline color first and the inside color on top you get a think feeling and the back layer usually shrinks (or rather, the garment shrinks) and throws the registration off so that the outline is not uniform all the way around the edges. To fix this you build the inside layer a bit wider than it needs to be (typically exteded to about half way into the width of the outline) and lay it down first then your outline is cut as just an outline and placed over the top. The oversized inside (bottom) layer edges are covered up with a little bit of overlap and the resulting outline is perfectly proportioned and the total package is one single layer making it feel better on the shirt. This process is relatively easy on a set of numbers and more complicated on other graphics. Some small detial pieces it is no feasible to do and unneccessary. It takes some experience to know when to do what. The big factor is these options will take some graphic skills on the design side to get where you need to be. 

• Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.