Bill Curtis

pressure settings

I am trying to understand the pressure settings on my MH 871-mk2. Is the more pressure the lower the number? I am trying to cut glitter HTV and I made sure the blade was down far enough and it cut the vinyl but it didn't cut enough to weed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Glitter eats blades. . , make sure you are cutting the dull side and not trying to cut thru the clear carrier (we see that from time to time).    It will take more force , which is a higher number.    And keep plenty of spare blades around 

A Clean Cut blade will last a little longer than any blade that shipped with the machine.

Each machine will have it's own settings, even if you're trying to cut an identical vinyl on an identical machine model. Anytime you try to cut a new type (and some times color) of vinyl, it might take a little tweaking to find the sweet spot for blade force and speed. For example, I need to use a slightly heavier force to cut my 651 white, than I do for my 651 black; I also need a difference force and speed to cut my 651 lime green, because that vinyl is slightly older and bit more finicky when it comes to cutting. Cutting different shade of reflective require different settings for me, due to the different brands, even though it's all reflective, etc.

So basically it'll be, test, test, test, then test again.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bill Curtis said:

Thanks... I had the pressure settings at 150g and it didn't cut very well. I have a new blade in my machine

Like Haumana said the actual number varies by machine so it is a lot of trial and error

19 hours ago, Bill Curtis said:

Thanks... I had the pressure settings at 150g and it didn't cut very well. I have a new blade in my machine

Like Haumana said the actual number varies by machine so it is a lot of trial and error

With any vinyl cutter and different vinyl, you must set the blade correctly for the vinyl that your cutting first. that will determine your force (pressure). Blade depth is very important from the git go. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade.  This still apply for any vinyl. Set the blade depth to the vinyl that your using. If your doing  glitter a lot, get yourself another blade holder and set it up, put it back in for glitter, but like stated, glitter will eat up your blades pretty fast. 

• Like 1

Glitter = Unhappiness. Hate that stuff LOL. Just a word of caution, the first time I cut glitter I tried to ease into the cut like you would with regular vinyl, adding a little pressure and then a little more. At some point in that process the glitter literally sanded off the tip (too small to see without a very powerful magnifier) and it was not cutting due to that. When I finally figured it out I put a fresh blade in and then I cut clear through into my cutting strip so that wasn't good.  Fresh blade, educated guess on pressure and cross your fingers. Then WRITE IT DOWN on some tape and tape up your roll with that so you can avoid the escapade the next time. Be prepared for it to mess up a blade too, it probably will. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

... WRITE IT DOWN on some tape and tape up your roll with that so you can avoid the escapade the next time. Be prepared for it to mess up a blade too, it probably will. 

Ditto on the write it down! Fortunately for me, my cutters are setup next to a closet that has an antiquated, splotchy mirror - so use a dry eraser marker and all my settings are written on that. Super helpful!

• Like 2