Susy567

die-cutter or cricut?

Sup everyone,

I know they are totally different in how they operate but I thought I would put this out there to get some of your feedback.

I know I will ultimately end up with a cutting machine of some sort. Be it a manual die cutter like a Sizzix/Big shot/Wizard or an electronic cutter like a Cricut. I was just wondering what are the advantages or disadvantages of having one over the other. I know some of you have both kinds but I really don't want to do that.

One minute I want a Cricut because it requires less space with regards to storing dies. I guess all you need are cartridges. And it seems the possibilities are endless as long as you want to buy a lot of cartridges. On the downside it is expensive initially and if you keep buying the cartridges. I think once the novelty wears off maybe those will become cheaper. But what are the Cricut's week points? I assume it can only cut cardstock and other thinner papers.

As for die-cutters, I'm looking for these machines

And these cricuts ttps://www.gathered.how/arts-crafts/cricut-machine-guide/

thanks for your help! 

die cutting machines take up a lot of space and are limited -plotters are very flexible but require a bit more learning - below is a die cutting machine = the steel dies are mounted to that wood board and are pressed into the substrate under great pressure

x800_eberhardsutter-simplacutter282112-400659.jpg

Unfortunately the article you posted has labelled the craft cutters incorrectly. Make no mistake, those are cutters, but not die-cut.

So I guess your question is more of, should I get a hobby craft cutter, or a larger one. If you can afford it, and aren't afraid of learning new software, then I would go with a regular cutter. Get the best of what you can afford, because in the world of cutters - you get what you pay for. If you're not sure, and need help deciding, come back and ask a few more question.

The cricut is a powerful little machine for what it can do, and I know of people that are going crazy making and selling all kinds of projects, but it is also very limited as well. So part of it will depend on what you think your actual application will be.

The real question is what do you want to do. That will determine what you should get. 

• Like 1