Sign in to follow this  
PM-Performance

Cutter dragging blade along reposition of blade

Not sure if this is my cutter, or other,

but I have been noticing my blade somehow getting lazy and creating scratches in my vinyl.

I look at the PLT file and can confirm it is on the areas the blade moves past to position for its next cut.

attached is a test piece I tried to show the issue. I am scared to do big jobs until I get this rectified.

Any ideas what is causing this?

blade is adjusted properly, and I watch the carriage fully lift when I watch it and can hear it slap down.

cutter is a Prismcut, software is Vinylmaster.

Both Vinylmaster and US Cutter has been useless for assistance.

0B3BC45F-B5C6-46BE-8EF7-472665E0EF2C.jpeg

94C497AE-1FA2-4596-A78D-837CAEB58EB3.jpeg

09C2368B-A8DA-4B44-87E1-976BF3E91B90.jpeg

55 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

So how far is the blade sticking out of the blade holder?  Is the vinyl laying flat in the vinyl cutter? 

Barely sticking out. It just cuts the vinyl and leaves no mark on the wax paper.

good question on the vinyl laying flat. This vinyl was not on a roll and was wavy. 
Pretty sure I have seen this on flat vinyl that comes off a roll as well, but good question.

could it maybe be arched up and causing this? The blade is inline with the rollers though, so I would think that wouldn’t matter much if it wasn’t flat?

I used to have chrome vinyl arch up and not be flat, and get scratched up.  On regular vinyl, you can reroll it the opposite direction and hold it for say 5 minutes and it will lay flat. I have to do that with my rolled up scrap vinyl. Some times I just reroll opposite direction then stick the rolled up vinyl in a transfer tape core and let sit for a bit. 

Thanks. I’ll try that as that seems like it could be the case. I would have thought though since the blade is close to the rollers that would not be enough space to arc up, but not that I think about it, that couple inches could certainly be the case.

I appreciate the advice!

• Like 2

On 12/23/2020 at 8:43 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

I used to have chrome vinyl arch up and not be flat, and get scratched up.  On regular vinyl, you can reroll it the opposite direction and hold it for say 5 minutes and it will lay flat. I have to do that with my rolled up scrap vinyl. Some times I just reroll opposite direction then stick the rolled up vinyl in a transfer tape core and let sit for a bit. 

So I confirmed today this is exactly what it is. I got a fresh new roll that was tightly rolled and it did this same exact thing. 

So I tried to cut a piece off and roll the other way to let it sit and it just creases up the vinyl. Is there any way to alleviate this to avoid this? I may start putting the fresh rolls I get in on larger diameter rolls going forward. When I get smaller rolls from Amazon they really roll these super tight creating a tight radius. I know when I bought smaller rolls from like 651 vinyl, they were always more loosely rolled and never noticed this before. 

I reroll scraps all the time. You must be rolling them tight or short pieces. Mine never put creases in them. I reroll mine with at least a 3" core, as sometimes I just fit them into my transfer tape core and let sit. Maybe slightly heat it with a hair dryer.   If you have a business ,why are you buying off the rolls. ? I started out with 24" W x 30 ft rolls. They come on 3" core rolls. Vinyl has a 2 year shelf life and lasts longer than that. 

On 1/11/2021 at 5:34 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

I reroll scraps all the time. You must be rolling them tight or short pieces. Mine never put creases in them. I reroll mine with at least a 3" core, as sometimes I just fit them into my transfer tape core and let sit. Maybe slightly heat it with a hair dryer.   If you have a business ,why are you buying off the rolls. ? I started out with 24" W x 30 ft rolls. They come on 3" core rolls. Vinyl has a 2 year shelf life and lasts longer than that. 

I was trying to reroll by hand. Using bigger cores will probably be the fix.

my “business” is extremely small and just a side gig. This is just play money for me. I do not do enough business to justify trying to store large rolls. I only buy like 15yd rolls of black and white and other colors I buy 5-10’ at a shot depending on what I think I may need.