Sign in to follow this  
LisaRoxx

Do I need to lower my speed when cutting large decals?

I am trying to cut a large decal that has a solid oval with an oval outline. On one side of both ovals the cut looks as if it maybe jumped & got it off center but standing next to the machine I never saw it move. This made the oval outline much thinner on one end than the other. Would this be because of the speed I have my machine set on? Could it be pressure? I haven't ever changed my settings & I have had my cutter for 3 years.The settings are... speed: 200 pressure:72. Any help is appreciated - I cannot waste any more vinyl on this! 

IMG_0436.HEIC

Tracking? Make sure that you pre-feed the entire amount of vinyl you'll be cutting FIRST and verify it is moving through straight.

200 speed seems very low (100 is the minimum on my machine). I have not moved my speed down from 800 in five years, making banners and signs that routinely are around 4' to 16' long. (even with the MH871 never went with lower speeds, just made sure tracking was spot-on as best I could, prior to hitting the cut button).

Oh wow! Even though I have had my cutter for 3 years I only use it for stuff every now & then so I don't know a whole lot about adjusting the settings/tracking/etc. (I would love to use it more but just don't have time!) I have never "tracked" my jobs before cutting -- what is the best method to do that? What if the rollers seem to be moving the cutting mat/vinyl sideways through the tracking process? Can I adjust things to fix that?

Right now my process before cutting is this:

- line vinyl up on a cutting mat

-insert & place rollers evenly apart (not on middle where there are no rollers!)

-on the screen I choose: >local (ENTER)

-select >current (this makes it so I am able to move the blade to where I would like the job to start.)

-(ENTER)

-I select CUT on Sure Cuts A Lot 5 Pro

PLEASE tell me if I am doing it wrong & there is an easier way!

Thanks so much for your help!

large is relative, how big are we talking?  you can see how well your machine tracks by jogging the vinyl front to back/back to front before you even start cutting.

most here use vinyl right off the roll, so you'd have to watch your cutting mat relative to your machine.

Hi again, Lisa, please reveal what machine you have.

Also, waiting for your reply to haumans regarding size.

I smiled at this remark ---  '' (I would love to use it more but just don't have time!) "
Many folks across America and across the world, have nothing BUT time, just sitting at home, routines shot to heck, jobs curtailed, no places to go, etc.

Anyway, let's see if we can figure this out, I believe it's a tracking issue. (cannot see your picture, what is HEIC file? I know it stands for High Efficiency Video Codec but how to open? Native WindowsOS applications do not support this format, and generally people in this cutting game use Windows PC's not macs.)

This software is free to use non commercial for this type of file.  I just found it and used it. 

The OP posted under      SC Series Vinyl Cutter Discussion. We hope that is what they are using. 

Make sure the pinch rollers are equal distance from the edge of the vinyl. I put mine about 1.5 from each each edge. Prefeed your vinyl back and forth and make sure it is feeding straight.  Always have enough vinyl pulled from the roll to do the order.  Never be pulling from a roll while cutting.   Too much blade exposed from the blade holder can also force the vinyl in a different direction. You should just barely see the blade tip out of the blade holder.  Too many people see the wrong instructions out there and use a credit card thickness or post it note thickness , this is wrong. 

This is the correct way to set your blade depth.   

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. 

img0436.JPG

• Like 1

If she's using the SC, why is there even a mention of 'cutting mat' ?

Also, maybe a change in orientation might help, just go across (6") instead of running it lengthwise (24")

I would guess that maybe the OP isn't pulling the vinyl off of a roll and putting in on a cutting mat. I wouldn't know why if they are cutting PSV.