Sign in to follow this  
Adejls

What is the best method printing on planters?

Hello, we sell small planters for plants.
And we want to start personalize service. 
Most of our planters are 4" and less, and it is cylinder or rectangular shape.
However some planters are curved or patterned shape. Plz check attached pictures. 

Attached pictures
planter1- 4" ceramic cylinder)
plnater2- 3" round white ceramic planter which is uneven and has some pattern on it)
planter3- unique unicorn planter)
planter4- 2.5" white ceramic rectangular planter)
planter5- 2" glass cylinder) I don't have pictures. however it is just reg 2" glass cylinder. 

I have searched online, and I found that there are many ways to print on planters. 
Printable heat transfer vinyl(HTV) vs Vinyl
HTV vs Sublimation
Heat Press / Oven / 3D vacuum heat press.

And I also found that different kind of printers are used for each type
Sublimation printer(like Sawgrass), or Epson printer
Cricut
regular printers 
Vinyl printer 

Can you let me know which method is the best methods for us?
We expect to get 5-10 personalizing service a day, and hopefully get more order. 

By the way I heard from someone that I can print on only polycoated planters.
I'm not sure if our planters are polycoated or not.
By the way, if our planter are not polycoated, is there no way to print on those planters?

I found that there are so many similar method or name of printing(?) 
Is there a good YouTube video or documents which cover every method and comparing?

Thank you. 

planter2.PNG

plnater1.PNG

planter3.PNG

plnater4.PNG

Personally, I would not even engage in trying to print anything for this project.

Use a regular 28" SC2 cutter, feed it with 751 cast vinyl (the good stuff) and apply normally (pressure adhesive, not heat) to the surfaces of your planters. If you want to verify this works, go to a local sign shop, get them to make you a few sample decals (make sure they utilize high-quality cast vinyl -- NOT standard calendared material).

Let us know how that goes.

• Like 1

Thank you for the answer. Is it some kind of stickers? Once it cure, Is it permanent, or is it something that we can peel off?

I bought a sample of personalized pot.

When I touch letters on the planter, I can't feel any. so I think the seller used some kind of printing method. 

BTW, I asked other place, and one person answer like below. Do you think will it work?

"The only thing is coming to my mind is try to print using an oven for the bigger one. For small plant pots you can use a sublimation 3D oven. You will need the silicone wraps to wrap around the pot and planters. And of course a sublimation printer and sublimation paper, and heat tape."

I have done many coffee mugs and other products from the DollarTree. I am only telling you what I know will work. As you may have already realized, there is not a lot of information available here (a vinyl-cutting Forum) for what you are attempting to do. Try using stickers/decals with 751 vinyl and then get back to us about what your results are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adejls said:

Thank you for the answer. Is it some kind of stickers? Once it cure, Is it permanent, or is it something that we can peel off?

I bought a sample of personalized pot.

When I touch letters on the planter, I can't feel any. so I think the seller used some kind of printing method. 

BTW, I asked other place, and one person answer like below. Do you think will it work?

"The only thing is coming to my mind is try to print using an oven for the bigger one. For small plant pots you can use a sublimation 3D oven. You will need the silicone wraps to wrap around the pot and planters. And of course a sublimation printer and sublimation paper, and heat tape."

I didn't see where they mention you will also need specially coated sublimation blanks to start with.  if not coated the sublimation ink won't adhere after it becomes a gas 

• Like 1

dakota, this adjels question about "printing" is beyond our paygrade here. It's a rabbit hole that I for one don't intend to go chasing down into.

Their budget gets a SC2 cutter ($500 incl. shipping) and some 751 cast vinyl colors, and 30-day supply of planters that she claims will sell at a rate of 10 a day (300 units, probably costing at least 2 bucks each) to customize with designs/text.  BOOM! $1000. +

https://www.etsy.com/listing/721240020/2x2-mini-pot-succulent-pot-cactus-pot

il_340x270.2408536147_t4g2.jpg

• Like 1

Slice & Dice,

Someone told me that Vinyl will peel and weather.

Is there a way with Vinyl method that can make no peel and weather? 

Thank you. 

Oracal 751 cast vinyl is good for 8 years outside.  Forever inside. Against cracking and fading.. This is why Oracal 751 was suggested.  Or go higher up with Oracal 951. They have more adhesive then just plain sign vinyl.  No one here is doing what you are wanting to do.  You are the one that is wanting to do this.  Try experimenting, like what was suggested. None of us here have any experience with this.  We mostly cut vinyl.  For decals, signs, apparel etc.  No one can make up your mind for what you are wanting to do. You are going to have to figure that out for yourself. Vinyl cutters are not printers, they cut vinyl.  Doing sublimation is a whole different project and will require you to buy special blanks of items( coated for sublimation) so the ink will stick. 

https://www.uscutter.com/ORACAL-751-High-Performance-Cast-Vinyl-15-x-10-Yard-Roll-Punched

https://www.sun-fly-sublimation.com/home-office/flower-pot

• Like 1

Thank you for the answer.

I just want to make sure that I can do only one color with vinyl and SC2 cutter, right? 

Because it doesn't print, it just cut, am I right? 

Is there a way that I can print on cast vinyl(751,951)?

If it is possible, plz let me know which printer is the best one for my budget.

I can spend little more than $1000 for all equipment.

Thank you. 

22 minutes ago, Adejls said:

Thank you for the answer.

I just want to make sure that I can do only one color with vinyl and SC2 cutter, right? 

Because it doesn't print, it just cut, am I right? 

Is there a way that I can print on cast vinyl(751,951)?

If it is possible, plz let me know which printer is the best one for my budget.

I can spend little more than $1000 for all equipment.

Thank you. 

like skeeter said to print vinyl you will need a solvent, latex or thermo resin printer that will cost you many thousands of dollars (I have owned 3 so speak from experience) - sublimation you can get going for a little over your price for the ricoh and maybe less with generic epson and sublimation ink but anything you print to will need to be specially coated - good supply of sublimatable items at conde but not sure on planters - the sublimatable items will cost significantly more than what you buy locally and the shipping cost will be high.  with sublimation you can print any color on appropriate items - and should be white to start with for correct color as the ink is see thru

• Like 1

I saw closely the sample planter that I got from the seller, and I found some trace.

I showed it to other person, and he told me like this
     it’s just simply a clear digital vinyl which has been printed onto using a solvent printer or UV printer.
    Waterslide transfers are an alternate option but not sure how long they would last outdoors.

Can you let me know what do you think?

If it is clear digital vinyl, then is it still expensive to print on it?

IMG_3741[9307] (2)_LI.jpg

the solvent is what I suggested - the uv refers to the roland uv cured inks and NOT the hp uv resistant inks used in cheaper printers - the correct printers like the smaller Roland sp-300i should start around $14,000 - great printers - I have had 2 of them but you need to keep them busy printing or you will be replacing a lot of $700 heads (it has 2 in the sp300i - the sp300v has 4 of those heads.   the reason I sold mine is we are going on longer vacations and if gone 3 weeks, even with the printer turning itself on 3-4 times a day and cleaning it's own heads they clog heads and unlike your desktop printer solvent heads do not come back.   it really isn't a hobby type of thing and needs to stay in production - then every month when you throw away the ink it pulls thru the heads during self clean - remember you are throwing aways $60 in ink

• Like 1

I forgot to add that if you let the heads clog and don't fix it quickly you clog lines, pumps and pretty soon have a large boat anchor.    I always kept a spare head on hand - when changing heads you also run the possibility of frying a $3500 board if done incorrectly.  definitely not for the faint of heart 

• Like 1

you really need to visit someone with a solvent printer before jumping in that pool head first - I drove 4 hrs each way to spend a few hours learning from someone that did it before I jumped in and still was an expensive learning process - but did it about 7 years once I got going.

• Like 1

If there is a small sized solvent printer which is inexpensive, that I think that would be good.

The max size for me to print is about 4" by 4". 

• Confused 1

Why are you wanting to print on the vinyl? Curious.   If you cut the decals, in any color of vinyl. you don't have to print anything.  Using Oracal 751 or 951

Just now, MZ SKEETER said:

Why are you wanting to print on the vinyl? Curious. 

I  saw a YouTube video which sublimation on non-poly mug.
It takes much longer time than I thought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLPsnBppsqE

So, if my planter is non-poly coated, then I think there is no easy way to sublimation.

Only easy way that I found so far is with Vinyl.

BTW, I just saw a YouTube video about UV printer, and wow it is very great printer !!

I want to have one If I can afford it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Why are you wanting to print on the vinyl? Curious.   If you cut the decals, in any color of vinyl. you don't have to print anything.  Using Oracal 751 or 951

Because using Oracal 751,951, I can do only one color.

So it will limit what I can do. I can't attach picture which is consist of many color on planter.