Tom Godon

Baseline Cutter Setting Chart

I got my SC2 a week ago and have been playing around with it doing decals for family and friends as a way to practice. I'm really just checking to see if this is available before I start my own chart. Is there a baseline setting chart for cutting different materials with an SC2? I realize each machine and each lot of the same material can vary, so really looking for a baseline setting chart. 

For example:

If cutting  651 start with ### speed and ### pressure

If cutting 4 mil mylar stencil material start with ### speed and ### pressure

If cutting 7 mil mylar stencil material start with ### speed and ### pressure

...and so on.

Thanks...

Tom

No, there are not any set in stone settings, First you must set your blade depth correctly for each of those materials, then you will know your force.  It is very important to set your blade depth correctly first.  Run speed slow until you learn your cutter. Slow speed also for detailed designs and text. Fast doesn't make your cutting any better. I always run slow.   Each cutter can be different, even the same model.  After you do each of these materials.  you can write down your settings yourself. Then you will be close next time.  Some thicker materials you may want to cut with 2 passes. Even the same vinyl can be a little different and require more force. It could be older and stiffer. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

No, there are not any set in stone settings, First you must set your blade depth correctly for each of those materials, then you will know your force.  It is very important to set your blade depth correctly first.  Run speed slow until you learn your cutter. Slow speed also for detailed designs and text. Fast doesn't make your cutting any better. I always run slow.   Each cutter can be different, even the same model.  After you do each of these materials.  you can write down your settings yourself. Then you will be close next time.  Some thicker materials you may want to cut with 2 passes. Even the same vinyl can be a little different and require more force. It could be older and stiffer. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade.

Thanks. All sounds pretty much like what I have already done. I'll build my own baseline setting chart.

Some people have extra blade holders all set up, just change the blade holder with the blade set for your different material. Your welcome:D

• Like 2

I think you'll find force doesn't matter match between materials so long as blade setting is correct. And speed will be more determined by the design your cutting rather than the material. Some on here run their cutter as fast as possible, others run it slow. I prefer slow, it typically does a better job and is not as hard on the machine.

• Like 2