nobrainsracing.com

What to clearcoat vinyl graphics over plastic

I making lighted signs out of old flat screen TVs for friends for Christmas. I toss the guts, then use the heavy plastic diffuser as the canvas. The textured surface sticks better, but comparable to, unpainted wood.  I am asking what the best satin clear coat to use on them. I have used krylon acrylic and rust-oleum enamel and one other polyurethane in the past. Whatever I could find at china-mart. Haven't tried the laquer yet. I've done a few indoor and outdoor but didn't track it. Outdoor signs appear to have a slight shrinkage on the vinyl between colors.16070545312847620162361446893467.thumb.jpg.7c75804dd44910ed29d7d344fa2abfd0.jpg but have lasted for 4 years. Does anyone have info on what is best for outside and best for the vinyl to be adhered the plastic backing? Would using the correct clear before applying grafix help?

Thanks everyone!

20201201_234501.jpg

I would like to caution you on posting your work product that contains company logos, unless you have permission to do so. We have members on this forum that can tell you of their personal stories of getting cease and desist letters, and/or threats of legal action.

• Like 1

Unless the decal is on something that is going to have lots of contact, like on a table surface or something, there's not much need to clearcoat them. 

• Like 2