tequilajade

MH871 blade doesn't go up and down

MH871 running on windows 10. vinyl master cut as spooler software, and adobe illustrator to design. 

this thing is brand new.... I got it on friday (as in YESTERDAY) and the blade doesn't go up and down.   It was to replace a chinese brand one that the cutter/computer communication wouldn't work at all.  I had a TITAN for years, and never any major issues. right now, if Cricut made one big enough, I'd get it just to get these damn stickers made that are now way beyond overdue. 

The blade holder doesn't lift and lower. every 4th or 5th time I power off and reset, the blade will move, but it's uncommon.  if I manually press it so it's touching the vinyl, when it cuts, it just drags the blade across and doesn't lift it before starting the next cut.   

I thought maybe it was a software or design issue, so I tried the test cuts, both provided with vinyl Master, and the test button on the machine.  Same story. I took the cover off the carriage to try to see if maybe something was blocking it.  it has some resistance if I press on it.  if it wasn't an electric copper motor coil thing I'd put a drop of lube in there to see what happens. 

I can't call tech support till monday, and I'll be back at work then. 

I can only blame vinyl supply chain for not churning out these stickers for so long

any ideas?

Sounds like a z-chip issue. Definitely get in touch with customer support.

Sounds like the solenoid is not centered so it is hitting the coils from your description.   Usually we here of carriages off track during shipping but now and then a solenoid is slightly off center and causes the resistance you are feeling if you are testing the motion with the power off

1 hour ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Sounds like the solenoid is not centered so it is hitting the coils from your description.   Usually we here of carriages off track during shipping but now and then a solenoid is slightly off center and causes the resistance you are feeling if you are testing the motion with the power off

thanks, that was the issue I was leaning toward myself.  is there anything I can do myself, or is this a tech support issue? 

thankfully I live about 20 miles from USCutter, so at least shipping and all that isn't an issue just the fact that it's absolutely brand new, and isn't working properly. 

• They used to have a video showing taking the cover off of the carriage and adjusting it on another model but looks like it is gone now.   I had a new 1900 graphtec I had to send back (which is far less common than a Chinese mh) . . , it happens from time to time as the ships carrying the containers get jostled at sea on the way over. 

7 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:
  • They used to have a video showing taking the cover off of the carriage and adjusting it on another model but looks like it is gone now.   I had a new 1900 graphtec I had to send back (which is far less common than a Chinese mh) . . , it happens from time to time as the ships carrying the containers get jostled at sea on the way over. 

i guess I'm going to have to call them on monday. I don't really want to load this thing into my tiny vehicle, unless I have no other options. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 7:10 PM, tequilajade said:

i guess I'm going to have to call them on monday. I don't really want to load this thing into my tiny vehicle, unless I have no other options. 

were they able to help you with this I'm having the exact same issue

9 minutes ago, Lamar said:

were they able to help you with this I'm having the exact same issue

The OP dropped in on NOV 28th, 2020 and never dropped back again. 

The problem is most likely the Z-chip got fried and will need to be replaced. The early models of the MH the chip was in a socket and could easily be replaced. Newer models the chip is soldered in, still replaceable, just not as easy. The chip is a simple op-amp and can be found from several online electronic stores. Do a search on here for Z-chip, we just had this discussion about a week ago. You'll find all the details you need.