Sign in to follow this  
Cliff P

"Defective" vinyl roll? Cutting awfully....

I only purchase my vinyl from here, and have various width and length rolls, all of which are Oracal 651. I'm having so many headaches with my roll of 15" matte white 651. It just doesn't want to cut cleanly like all of my gloss vinyl. Either it doesn't cut deep enough, or cuts deep enough and pulls and still doesn't separate when weeding. Even my matte black vinyl does better at release when picking/weeding than this stuff. Is it possible that I ended up with a troublesome roll? I've wasted way more than I care to admit and it's super frustrating.

Cutter is Titan 2 28", using genuine Roland 45 degree blades, .25 offset just in case anyone asks. As I mentioned above, I do not have these issues with any other vinyl hanging from my racks on my wall. 

Thanks.

Always make sure that you have your blade depth set correctly for the vinyl that you are using.  I do have to set my force a bit different for some vinyls.  But I never have to change the blade depth.   Do TEST cuts with the TEST feature on your vinyl cutter, before doing designs.  Older vinyl will be a bit stiffer. This is the correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade out of the blade holder

Thanks Skeeter. I have seen this posted numerous times, and know the procedure by memory at this point. Just on a whim, I decided to pull the matte vinyl roll off of the cutter, and loaded up some colored gloss calendar up. Did the same cut, absolutely no issues cutting the glossy calendar media. Just on a whim, I'm going to try and cut the matte again, and bump the pressure back up about 30g. It's just odd to me that given same material brand and "model", I don't have these issues with the matte black or any other colored media. Only this matte white is the bane of my existence. LOL.

I have been cutting for years.  I know the different vinyls.  I use matte also. And I have to change the force for it.   And I run a Graphtec.  Some people have problems with different gloss colors also.   I have never used  Matte  white. No one has ever asked for it.  It may sit around longer than other colors. I do use alot of Matte Black. 

• Like 3

Same here .... predominantly use 651, so the only thing I really need to adjust is force. Each of my colors have their own characteristics - the older the vinyl, the crunchier it is for me. I know that vinyl has a self life, but I'm too cheap to keep on replacing some of the colors if it's only a small run and it won't cover the cost of the vinyl and time and effort. The older my vinyl, the greater the force. The more intricate design, or tiny detail, the slower the blade. I rarely need to adjust the blade depth.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cliff P said:

Thanks Skeeter. I have seen this posted numerous times, and know the procedure by memory at this point. Just on a whim, I decided to pull the matte vinyl roll off of the cutter, and loaded up some colored gloss calendar up. Did the same cut, absolutely no issues cutting the glossy calendar media. Just on a whim, I'm going to try and cut the matte again, and bump the pressure back up about 30g. It's just odd to me that given same material brand and "model", I don't have these issues with the matte black or any other colored media. Only this matte white is the bane of my existence. LOL.

So what was the final result after going to a higher force?