Hi everyone. I’m new here just thought I’d see if anyone could help me. I’ve recently started using a goldcut 721 and on my first day had no issues, cut fine etc. Come back to it the next morning and think the pc had updated maybe or something must have changed because I now I have half blank screen and when I try to send anything to cut it says can’t initialise output device or something along those lines. I’ll attach an image of the screen I see on the cutter. If anyone could point me in the direction of a solution I’d be very grateful

It is the goldcut 721 cutter with my pc running Windows 7. Worked fine for one day then now it won’t work. 

image.jpg

refine plotters are notorious for static issues - by chance did you not run a ground wire from your stand to the bottom of the plotter?  sounds like fried mainboard 

If it was just the display the cutter would likely still work. I'd lean towards mainboard with Dakota.

You said you just started using it, does that mean it's new and still under warranty? If so, that'd be your best option, get it repaired/replaced under warranty if you can.

• Like 1

Nope not under warranty, just started renting an office which came with the use of it, all setup with the computer etc all I did was cut, leave over night and come back to that as the pc had updated, it’s not on a stand just on a desk

If you can get the cutter back to working, do not do any updates. There are a lot of users who run into problems after a Windows update. I don't know why people want to take any updates. If it aint broke, don't update. if it is broke, see if you can fix it without doing an update.

Unfortunately, the new windows, and the way the industry is going, doesn't give you a choice, it just does it.

You could try an older computer, several on here still use Windows XP on a PC that is only connected to the cutter and not the internet.

On 10/29/2020 at 3:24 AM, darcshadow said:

Unfortunately, the new windows, and the way the industry is going, doesn't give you a choice, it just does it.

You could try an older computer, several on here still use Windows XP on a PC that is only connected to the cutter and not the internet.

Yah, that forced windows updates cause more problems than they fix. Any PC I use for my cutter will indefinitely be on Win7, until I can no longer find hardware that will support that OS. The first thing I do with all my PC's is stop any and all auto updates. Too bad Microsoft started forcing updates.

Are you using the USB connection or serial? If USB, try serial. Assuming the computer does not have a serial port you'll need a USB-2-serial adapter, get the one from Tripp-lite. You'll also need a null modem cable, one should have came with the cutter, if not they are pretty cheap.

If you use the serial option, you won't need a driver for the cutter.

However, given that the screen seems fried you may have multiple issues and the computer may not be the only problem.