bob-le-bob

Cut registration marks instead of printing?

I'm having trouble googling for an answer to this, google thinks I mean something slightly different and I can't figure out how to word it for a search...

I want to cut a layer of vinyl and a set of registration marks so I can mount the vinyl onto another piece and put it back in the cutter to have it read the registration marks and cut another shape around the outside.  I can't see a way of doing this in illustrator though, is it possible or am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

What cutting software are you using?  You will find it in your cutting software, or you could just make your own with a star, circle etc. and place then where you want them.   You mount the piece after both  vinyls are cut, using the registration marks.  You cut by color with each set of registration marks.  Cut all of your pieces first, then layer them using the registration marks.  Research how to layer vinyl.  Many videos in youtube on how to layer vinyl.   Or if that is not what your wanting, maybe show a picture  of what your wanting. 

Sorry what I meant was registration marks the cutter can read to then cut after I’ve layered.

I’m making magnetic signs, was just looking to see if I could mount the vinyl to the magnetic sheet and then cut the sheet afterwards rather than cutting them individually and putting them together.

if it was printed media it would be fine because I can print the registration marks, but I can’t see anyway to cut them from Vinyl instead.

illustrator and cutting master with a graphtec 7000

Probably doable, but for the time it might take you to properly dial in your machine to cut just the layer(s) of vinyl and not cut into the magnet material, it would just be faster to do the individual layers and apply it to the magnet after cutting.

I would want to cause the drag on the rollers of the weight of the magnet sheet, and to cut the first layer of vinyl, and not to cut into the second layer will take a lot of time and finesse with the machine. I would love to be able to have that level of skill and knowledge with my cutter, in reality I don't. I'm always up for improving my layering skills :D

3 hours ago, bob-le-bob said:

Sorry what I meant was registration marks the cutter can read to then cut after I’ve layered.

I’m making magnetic signs, was just looking to see if I could mount the vinyl to the magnetic sheet and then cut the sheet afterwards rather than cutting them individually and putting them together.

if it was printed media it would be fine because I can print the registration marks, but I can’t see anyway to cut them from Vinyl instead.

illustrator and cutting master with a graphtec 7000

If I am Reading that right, you want to lay a full sheet of vinyl on the magnet, cut and weed, then lay another sheet of vinyl, cut the second layer, weed and so on.

No, what makes you think you can get the first layer to stay on the magnet when you weed the second, third or however many layers you want?

If I am misunderstanding the question I do apologize.

My impression is he's wanting to lay the cut vinyl on the magnet, then use the cutter to cut the magnet. I'm guessing a contour cut kind of thing.

• Like 1

If Darc is right and you're trying to contour cut the magnet, then no - don't do it. Your cutter wasn't designed to do that.

7 hours ago, darcshadow said:

My impression is he's wanting to lay the cut vinyl on the magnet, then use the cutter to cut the magnet. I'm guessing a contour cut kind of thing.

Exactly this.

for what it’s worth - I’ve had no issues cutting the magnet sheet on its own

1 hour ago, bob-le-bob said:

Exactly this.

for what it’s worth - I’ve had no issues cutting the magnet sheet on its own

I would very much be interested in any video you have of your CE7000 contour cutting magnetic sheets.

34 minutes ago, haumana said:

I would very much be interested in any video you have of your CE7000 contour cutting magnetic sheets.

I've been doing a perf cut, then fold along the edge and it pops out

13 hours ago, haumana said:

I did some again this morning and actually just cutting it like vinyl works well, the small score that it leaves is enough to fold the sheet and it tears apart neatly

I don't know about cutting magnet material but just make registration marks part of the design and cut them out of vinyl when you're cutting the design. I've drawn registration marks by hand with a marker and my machine found them.

On 10/28/2020 at 2:16 AM, jmas said:

I don't know about cutting magnet material but just make registration marks part of the design and cut them out of vinyl when you're cutting the design. I've drawn registration marks by hand with a marker and my machine found them.

Excuse my ignorance - but don't the registration marks need to created by the software.  Otherwise how does the cutter know what the registration marks are meant to indicate.

9 hours ago, bob-le-bob said:

Excuse my ignorance - but don't the registration marks need to created by the software.  Otherwise how does the cutter know what the registration marks are meant to indicate.

Yes, you have to change the design between the first and second cut. Better yet, use two files. Here's the first file.

reg.png.db48d2153be9c8d5640a1fa3ae70e1b2.png

Let's say the square is the thing you want cut out. You add reg marks with the software so it adds those 4 brackets. My software says the brackets are .5in in size, the lines are .039 thick and they're placed 1 inch from the design. If you printed this in a printer then put it in a plotter, the plotter would look for the reg marks and cut out the design inside them. Since you don't have a printer, you can make those brackets out of vinyl. Save that as file1.

reg2.png.c285f68479994973ec450212748e2842.png

Now, design your own reg marks that match the ones the software added and place them where the other reg marks were. Here I've made 4 bracket shapes with the correct dimensions and put them 1 inch from the design. Save it as file2. Send file2 it to the plotter and it will cut out 5 shapes in the vinyl, the square and the 4 bracket shapes, because it doesn't see the brackets as software created reg marks, they're just part of the design.

Then you can weed the vinyl, apply it to the magnet and put the magnet back in the plotter. The magnet has the vinyl design and 4 vinyl brackets on it. Open file1 and send it to the plotter and the plotter will look for reg marks and cut out the square. The reg marks are just made out of vinyl instead of being printed.

• Like 2