Sign in to follow this  
The Flaming Eyeball

Outline.....for the life of me I can't figure this out

I had a decal I made previously. I added an outline and was able to cut it just like I wanted: an outline.

Now, I'm trying to create a new decal and do the same effect....but now I keep getting the outline in all the holes (and yes, I've tried both with keeping the holes and without) And I get these weird anomalies in the small holes of the graphic.

So these are the two graphics. The one on the left is the one I've done previously, the right is the current project. Red circles are the weird outlines that show better in the wire frame in the next pic. Left pic is how I want it to cut, I suppose I could cut it like the right and weed it all out, but why waste even the smallest amount of cutting with my blade, and shorten the life unnecessarily.

1992312136_outline1.thumb.jpg.833013a23fa46a9a19efe3e20a9ef88b.jpg1036390895_outline2wireframe.thumb.jpg.c4592618f126b46c529a28f9bc79ee94.jpg

I'm using Vinyl Master LTR, and was able to do this just fine previously, but different day, no joy. Any guesses? TIA.

HI

I would like to have a look at the file you are using. Would you mind saving it as a pdf or an ai file and uploading it?

Two things --   

1.  You noted " why waste even the smallest amount of cutting with my blade, and shorten the life unnecessarily. "

Not a realistic fear, blades will last for years & replacements are cheap anyway. Just cut those extra little shapes and weed 'em.

or

2. Node Edit and remove the extra stuff you don't want. Do you know how to do that?

Umm... if you're just cutting regular vinyl and your blades are dulling quickly, you need to buy better blades.

I have a 60* Clean Cut blade that I've been using for 10+ years, even cutting reflective once in a while.

Creating outlines don't always work ideally for me, so that's when I just delete the nodes that I don't need.

OK, all thanks for the advice. Sleep helped, as usual it came to me as I was just drifting off......what if I punched it out....? zzzzzzzzzz.........

So this morning tried again. Used the Outline module, which makes it a separate graphic, so to speak. Did that twice, and punched it out from the second one, which was a bit smaller. Viola! I now have an outline that I can resize and no extra stuff in the middle!

As for the blades dulling, that was a theoretical statement to avoid extra cutting, this is still my first blade, and I've cut a lot of stuff with it over the past year+ and I don't see any signs of it stopping yet.

I now have a clean outline that I can change colors on and have it separate from the graphic so it will all be one layer, with no weird cutting lines in the middle

Screenshot 2020-10-22 065010.jpg

8 hours ago, slice&dice said:

2. Node Edit and remove the extra stuff you don't want. Do you know how to do that?

I do know how to node edit, but when using the outline effect vs. the outline module you can't edit the nodes from what I can tell.

I highly recommend you get to know how to do node edits. It's going to be your best friend. It's a simple, but very power skill to have.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this