kainth.c.s

Some suitable products for Plasterboard wall

HI everyone

I have beden contacted by someone who needs to put some decals on her to be born baby's room. She needs some rose flowers to be cout into a couple of colors and stuck directly on to the plasterboard wall.

Will the normal vinyl stick better to the plasterwall?

Also, she is pretending to keep it for at least 4-5 years.

My next question is what sort of damage it can do to the plaster when the vinyl is peeled off either for repainting or for any other reason.

I am planning to use the intermediate quality calendered vinyl.

She is somehow sceptical about getting it printed and stuck to the wall

Any inputs please

IMG_20201022_082857.jpg

This is a question that MzSkeeter probably can provide her insight. She does wall decals.

I can tell you, I do not do wall decals, never have and never will. I have expressed numerous times on here that I would not add wall decals to my business. Too many variables with walls and paint. 

I've done some basic ones for my own kids room, it's textured drywall and the Oracal 631 worked great. It stayed up for 2 or 3 years, don't remember exactly.

I wouldn't use the "normal" vinyl, at least not if you want to remove it without damaging the wall.

• Like 1

This may not help because I think you may be printing it? I haven't printed wall designs and I don't know what is available in Australia, but I know a little about Oracal 631wall vinyl if that helps. I've done a handful of wall vinyl jobs for businesses, a couple with Oracal 751 because they didn't care and didn't want to wait for me to order 631, the rest with 631. 631 looks better and it's insanely cheap. Normal vinyl doesn't look as good because it's glossy and every little bump shows through. 631 is matte, and while the bumps show through, the matte texture helps them blend in with the vinyl. 631 really looks like the design was painted onto the wall, 731 looks like a shiny decal was put on the wall.

Expect it to rip the paint off when removed. It may not, it's supposed to be designed not to rip the paint off, but the one time I tried removing it a month after install, it took paint with it. I just assume that it will damage the paint if removed.

It will last a long time. I did some for businesses 5 years ago that are still on the wall and still look the same as they did when first installed. Most are in air-conditioned rooms but one of my largest was 16ft long and installed in a non-air conditioned building. It's exposed to 100 degree temps in the summer and it still looks perfect 5 years later. Rain and sunlight would surely damage it, but age and heat alone hasn't seemed to.

• Thanks 1