Sign in to follow this  
OWJones

There is a time and place for cheap vinyl... This wasn't it.

I stopped by my local Social Security Field Office and my first thought on seeing their decal signage was "that is a weird font choice" - then realized that it isn't the font - it's the crappy vinyl they used. 

This new building is ~3 years old, so there is no reason a quality vinyl should have failed that horrifically...  It is an East facing entrance so it does get the morning sun, but still... 

20201016_111335~01.jpg

• Sad 1

Makes you feel real secure...................:lol:

Is that applied inside or outside?

It looks worse as you get higher and I see a vent in the interior wall that looks more like a register (not a cold air return). Could a heat duct have helped age vinyl of unknown quality, maybe? East sun is not as intense as the West, but still doesn't help...

pawdell, it's on the outside of the glass. Just as window decals are supposed to be installed.

2 hours ago, Sue2 said:

Makes you feel real secure...................:lol:

Every day, I run across some sign that is toasted/faded/unreadable and I'll pop in to suggest an upgrade!

I'll get a job about 25% of the time when I ask, and the other 75% the owners are OK with decrepit old signage.

As for this particular (potential) work, I guarantee it's a huge PITA to obtain authorization to remove&replace these letters.
It normally involves a bidding process with the Government, as they need to get three price bids through their online RFP system.

https://procurement.maryland.gov

• Like 1

12 hours ago, slice&dice said:

pawdell, it's on the outside of the glass. Just as window decals are supposed to be installed.

Why? If the glass isn't tinted, why not consider the option to mirror-cut and apply on the interior? Just curious.

42 minutes ago, pawdell said:

Why? If the glass isn't tinted, why not consider the option to mirror-cut and apply on the interior? Just curious.

the vinyl manufactures have told me at shows that the vinyl is uv resistant whereas the adhesive isn't 

I once was dealing with a Gov't agency and they were required to do the bidding thing for projects such as this, but the office manager just wanted to get a few signs for interior offices replaced (new employee names) and he took a shortcut by providing the payment from a 'petty cash/incidental expenses' account credit card, and that job was done in a day.
I recall it was a $374.50 invoice, and we all went home happy.

This transom lettering decal appears to be around 2' x 3' size, and I would price it at $240 (including scraping off the old stuff, using some GooGone and Isopropyl, and squeegeeing the new decal up there, maybe the whole thing takes an hour, including design time, cutting, and on-site work).

• Like 1