darcshadow

How to make this or what's it called?

Does anyone know what it's call or how to create the multi color mask that is used in this image? At least that's what I'm assuming was done to create this image. I'd normally google how to do this, but I'm not sure what terms to look for.

lungs.jpeg

when I was printing I would find the pattern I wanted the background to be - put my vector over it and weld by color as I recall (been about 2 years not) - that leaves the background in the shape of the vector and I always had to make sure to put the right one over the other - cant remember which way it was 

That's what I was thinking, but I'd like to make the pattern. Seems to be just some multi color gradients I guess, just not sure how to do that in Inkscape or if it's worth the hassle.  :)

Sometimes you just have to make the call if the juice is worth the squeezing. 

My oldest daughter is 29 and an RN - she makes 60 percent more than I did when I retired after 27 years at the prison -  she used to send me pictures of shirts etc she seen on pintrest, etsy etc and ask me if I can make it for her so it will be cheaper.  After the first couple I did I told her that I can make it spending an hour recreating the colors, and finding the 6 unknown fonts the person used - I finally told her - for a one off just pay the person the $18 or whatever they are selling it for on etsy.  Yes I can do it cheaper but when you factor in my time for recreating each one of those the shirts would be about $60 each for design time recreating them - sometimes the juice just ain't worth the squeezin like I said above lol
Pretty sure though darcshadow, that you are a better designer than me ;)

Played around with it more and figured out how to do multi colored gradients which got me pretty close to the effect i wanted. 

working with gradients and mask/clips is an art form of its own. I think I’ll try to stick with solid colors. :)

Clipping Masks and Blending Options.

My Example is just a rough quickie and assumes your intended Print Method is DTG or Digital Transfer (Jet Opaque),

Drop your High Res Original art into Photoshop and place a Radial Gradient Layer over it and use the "Blend if" Sliders

in Blending Options to drop out the Colors over the Dark Background.

Next, take a Random Polka Dot Sample and Clip it over the Gradient Layer.

You can easily Customize the Gradient Color Selections and Polka Dot Size to be more like the Original.

From this situation you can easily create a Composite and drop out the Black Background.

Rip and Print.

This was obviously done in Raster but you could Re-Create it in Vector and do the same in Illustrator or Inkscape .

PsCS6_screenshot.jpg

• Like 2

For a rough example that looks pretty good.  The customizing the gradient seems to be the tricky bit, to get the same as the original. The original seems to have a couple of gradients, the center text colors don't flow directly into the lungs, and the words around the lungs don't quite made the color flow either. At any rate, I basically know now how to do it, just a matter of tweaking everything to get the look.

My end result was a simpler gradient and no dots.