Info: MH MK2, purchased around Christmas of 2019. Lightly used. (1-2 times a month since purchase)

When I initially bought the cutter there were some setup issues and it seemed to work fine, I've been cutting here and there, made a few cuts before everything went haywire yesterday. Not exactly sure when why or how it began to act up. Took me the whole evening to get the test cut to look half decent. I swapped out the 45 blade because I was assuming it was dull, didn't help. Cuts are coming out extremely jagged. I did the calibration test for blade offset and every single row looked jacked up. I tried like 50 times to calibrate the blade, settings on machine, the settings in Vinylmaster cut 4.2, easy cut studio, nothing seems to work. I'm using some regular matte black medium tack vinyl from uscutters website. The machine has been covered (indoor) every time its not in use and never damaged in anyway that I can think of. I had my buddy try and help me with different fonts and options in Illustrator also, nothing nothing nothing! its either something really dumb or something is messed up that I don't know about?

4800 > 200 up speed > 90 cut press > 30 cut speed
9600 > 460 up speed > 100 cut press > 100 cut speed
None of those worked and I tried them in a variety of 20 other ways.

What on earth is going on with my vinyl cutter? LOL. I can't figure this out and I've been at it since 8 am and its now 8 pm. What a waste of a day! :(

8maQrFw.jpeg

NliOIdf.jpeg

You might have multiple issues, looks like one is offset at the very least.

What does the machine test look like? Just load some vinyl and hit the test button on the cutter.

How did you set your blade depth?  That is the first thing that has to be correct. Don't use instructions that have to do with using a credit card thickness or post it notes.  Make sure tip on blade isn't broken.  Are there scratches and gouges in the cutting strip? 

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand, firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

• Like 1

along with proper blade depth - make sure the carriage wheels are all engaged on the track.  also looks like offset may be off but that is hard to say because something in the carriage or blade holder appears to be moving 

I will do this again another time to see if i did all that correctly. Is that white strip supposed to be on there? I sure hope so lol. Blade under microscope looks ok and the bed doesn't have any gouges or scratches that I can visibly see. I'll post back after I adjust blade again. Also, cut press is how much it presses down into the vinyl correct? What settings would you all recommend for the machine anyway? Baud rate and all..

20201006_210735.jpg

20201006_210046.jpg

Not too many old timers on here use the MH cutter. I am giving you the basic settings to set up any vinyl cutter. I think some have the baud rate at 9600. Start slow until you learn your cutter. Your force is determined after you set your blade depth correctly. Is there tape over over the teflon cutting strip?  I have heard that some cutters come with tape over them , that must be removed before cutting. 

• Like 1

omg it was the blade depth, my letters and cuts are freaking PERFECT!  SUPER CLEAN lines.  I'm amazed. Ya'll are amazing! You have no idea how much I appreciate this! LOL. I feel like the biggest fool right now and I want to kick myself because I thought I was adjusting it "properly" this whole time....so relieved, and I'm pretty sure it cuts better than I ever had it before. What's the IP btw?

edit: I also tightened up the rollers slightly. Jagged letters are a thing of the past now!

edit 2: set to 20 mm/s cut speed > cut press 80g >up speed 40 > baud 4800

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, EllisDesignAndTrade said:

omg it was the blade depth, my letters and cuts are freaking PERFECT!  SUPER CLEAN lines.  I'm amazed. Ya'll are amazing! You have no idea how much I appreciate this! LOL. I feel like the biggest fool right now and I want to kick myself because I thought I was adjusting it "properly" this whole time....so relieved, and I'm pretty sure it cuts better than I ever had it before. What's the IP btw?

edit: I also tightened up the rollers slightly. Jagged letters are a thing of the past now!

edit 2: set to 20 mm/s cut speed > cut press 80g >up speed 40 > baud 4800

should have been tip - was on the ipad that likes to spell as it likes :)