sophie reynolds

I can get my cutter to plot -please help :)

I did a bit of investigation and well nothing disappeared when I moved the usb from the laptop. 

So I looked at the multi-port serial adapters and it has (roland) on the side.  I tried removing the usb to see if that would make a difference and it didn't disappear.

I actually don't how its connected but there is a beep to signify the usb is attached or removed

image1(19).jpeg

image2(13).jpeg

image3(8).jpeg

Okay, I did a bit of more investigatory work... It would appear the usb for the cutter is under universal serial bus controllers.  And its 'USB printing support' as that is the only one that disappears when I pull the usb from the laptop.

Is this helpful?

image1(20).jpeg

image2(14).jpeg

Ok, I suspect now that you do not have the driver for the USB-2-Parallel adapter installed. Does the adapter have any markings on it other than what is in the photo you posted?

Also, in one of your early post you said you had a problem on the LPT1 port but that went away when you put in an IP address. Where did you put an IP address in?

1 minute ago, darcshadow said:

Ok, I suspect now that you do not have the driver for the USB-2-Parallel adapter installed. Does the adapter have any markings on it other than what is in the photo you posted?

Also, in one of your early post you said you had a problem on the LPT1 port but that went away when you put in an IP address. Where did you put an IP address in?

I installed the driver for the usb-to-parallel adapter this morning.

Does this help any? 

I also found this online.    Printers have evolved to keep up with advances in personal computers. Some of the original means of connecting printers are less commonly used. Parallel port interfaces, commonly known as Line Print Terminal (LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, etc.) are being replaced with newer interface devices such as Firewire, network printing and Universal Serial Bus (USB). Changing your printer port from LPT1 to USB is easy.

Step 1 Connect the parallel port end of the adapter to your printer.

Step 2 Insert the USB end of the adapter into the USB port of your computer.

Step 3 Click "Start," "Settings," and "Printers and Faxes."

Step 4 Locate and right-click the icon of the printer you wish to configure.

Step 5 Select "Properties." Click on the "Ports" tab.

Step 6 Remove the check mark from the box next to the LPT port where your printer is listed.

Step 7 Check the box next to the USB port in the list. Click "Apply" and then "OK."

If this is true, can't you connect in Flexi as USB?   That is how I am connected with a Graphtec. in XP

Also, have you tried running Flexi again, and do you still get that error about communicating with Production Manager?

I always thought the usb-to-parallel (utp going forward if you don't mind) was the connector.  so i did this (and sorry for my very basic instructions)

Under printer and faxes, i clicked on properties - ports - scrolled to usb001 -add port - selected standard tcp/ip port and then put my address in there.  I could be wrong but I just tried everything i could think of

2 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

Also, have you tried running Flexi again, and do you still get that error about communicating with Production Manager?

yes i keep getting the error

6 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Does this help any? 

I also found this online.    Printers have evolved to keep up with advances in personal computers. Some of the original means of connecting printers are less commonly used. Parallel port interfaces, commonly known as Line Print Terminal (LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, etc.) are being replaced with newer interface devices such as Firewire, network printing and Universal Serial Bus (USB). Changing your printer port from LPT1 to USB is easy.

Step 6 Remove the check mark from the box next to the LPT port where your printer is listed.

Step 7 Check the box next to the USB port in the list. Click "Apply" and then "OK."

If this is true, can't you connect in Flexi as USB?   That is how I am connected with a Graphtec. in XP

shall i give this a go?

3 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Yes, try it. 

I don't know how to do it because it is not that straight forward.  It doesn't give me the option to 'apply' when i select usb001.  Please see photos of the options that it gives me.  I don't know what to do next after I have selected usb001.  It would be great if you could talk it through with me :)

image1(21).jpeg

image2(15).jpeg

image3(9).jpeg

image4(4).jpeg

image5(2).jpeg

image6(1).jpeg

24 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Does this help any? 

how is your Graphtec set up in XP?  Would mine have a similar connection?

My XP does not have APPLY,  Just click OK.    No need to Add a port.  Choose the Virtual Printer   USB 001   Choose USB 001 in Flexi set up. Or whatever is close in Flexi set up,  Your Flexi 7 is older than mine. 

9 minutes ago, sophie reynolds said:

I always thought the usb-to-parallel (utp going forward if you don't mind) was the connector.  so i did this (and sorry for my very basic instructions)

Under printer and faxes, i clicked on properties - ports - scrolled to usb001 -add port - selected standard tcp/ip port and then put my address in there.  I could be wrong but I just tried everything i could think of

ok, what you did there was add a TCP/IP address as a printer port. This would be used if you had a printer on a network. So what you did, won't hurt anything, but it doesn't help either.

Are you sure you installed the driver for the UTP? The drivers haumana found for you are the comm ports and I don't believe are the drivers you need for the parallel port.

4 minutes ago, sophie reynolds said:

I don't know how to do it because it is not that straight forward.  It doesn't give me the option to 'apply' when i select usb001.  Please see photos of the options that it gives me.  I don't know what to do next after I have selected usb001.  It would be great if you could talk it through with me :)

image1(21).jpeg

don't click the add port, you just click the check box on the port you want to use and then click ok.

if you expand the first column out so you can see the full name, what are the full  names, also expand out the description, what is the full description?

2 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

ok, what you did there was add a TCP/IP address as a printer port. This would be used if you had a printer on a network. So what you did, won't hurt anything, but it doesn't help either.

Are you sure you installed the driver for the UTP? The drivers haumana found for you are the comm ports and I don't believe are the drivers you need for the parallel port.

don't click the add port, you just click the check box on the port you want to use and then click ok.

if you expand the first column out so you can see the full name, what are the full  names, also expand out the description, what is the full description?

I only install the driver that Haumana gave me the link for.

so i forgot/didn't know that i could just press 'apply' so I have done that.

The port is usb001 and description is virtual printer port for USB

image1(22).jpeg

2 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

on my Flexi   USB 001 is not even an option to connect to. for that cutter.    Is it on yours?  

yes it is.  I clicked apply and it did it. 

I have now changed the port under printer and faxes to uSB001 and the production manager 'add setup' to usb001 too and its not communicating with the production manager.  I turned the firewall off and its not made any difference.

Did you try plugging the USB cable into a different USB slot on your computer? Can you see in your computer device manager  when it unplugs?   Nothing more that I can add, except get a Serial card, if your laptop has a slot.  or try different software.  Signblazer is Free and has your cutter on it. 

ok.   You could download some trial software and see if they connect.   VinylMaster.com       Signcut. 

Also, are you still getting the same error of Production manager not opening/ firewall error?  That error has nothing to do with connection to your cutter.    That Production manager should open anytime you have something on your layout screen sending to  CUT/PLOT. It doesn't need to be connected to a vinyl cutter.   I do it all the time, making screenshots.