haumana

AI or Inkscape plugin compatible cutters

Does anyone know, beside Graphtec and Roland, which cutters can use a plugin to cut directly from AI or Inkscape?

• Like 1

Summa will. Both with the SummaCut plug-in and the SignCut plug-in. I need liked the SummaCut as well as I did SignCut and I design on the mac which the SummaCut does not support so I stuck with SignCut. I do not use the plug-in however but cut from a different computer altogether. Both programs are also able to operate stand alone without being just a plug in. 

• Like 1

That's more a software thing then a cutter thing. You can cut directly from Inkscape, you just have to set the comms setup and the plotter has to use either the HPGL or DMPL language, which most do.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 3:41 AM, darcshadow said:

That's more a software thing then a cutter thing. You can cut directly from Inkscape, you just have to set the comms setup and the plotter has to use either the HPGL or DMPL language, which most do.

I have a friend who would like to pickup a cutter, and is a total guru in AI. I've explain that their mad skills in AI is more than half the battle when it comes to vector artwork. I suggested that they can just save their stuff in .eps and just use whatever cutting software is available with the cutter. They are convinced that they should be able to do everything from AI.  (Don't even get me started on how millennials think (or assume) things should work).

• Like 1

Well it's true, in theory you can do everything from AI, although I am not finding a generic plotter plugin like what Inkscape has, which I would think would be pretty easy to make. I did find plugs for other programs like Cut Master 4. So it would seem if they are determined to us AI, they will still have to buy some sort of cutting program in order to get a plugin.

• Like 1

I got thinking this morning, AI allows for users to create scripts. And since a real cutting program is needed that a plug-in can link to, a user could simply create their own script to save the file off as a temp.eps some place then have the script open the temp.eps with the cutting program. It's a fair bit of work/research to figure out how to write a script to do this and save you basically 2 steps, but it would give the illusion of doing everything from AI.