Sign in to follow this  
haumana

Reflective recommendation

Is anyone willing to point me in the right direction to find some decent reflective vinyl and appropriate application tape?

Due to a new state law, there are (private property) tow signs that need to be updated and this will be my first foray into producing the signs with reflective for commercial purposes. I previously did not care, because all my reflective were to trivial and lame personal projects, so as long as the was reflective shiny, I was happy. While the new law does not state that the reflective material needs to engineer grade, I'm just looking for something that's fairly durable, since it will be outdoor, and will roast in the Hawaiian sun and will not start to peel at the edges within 2 or 3 years. 

The USC inventory looks kind of iffy, so I'm looking for several brands for me to consider because I kind of need this vinyl very, very soon.

Mahalo in advance!

for me I have always used engineering grade but got lucky and most of it came from lost shipment auctions so my big rolls are 3m.   I have some green that cannot be cut on a plotter I use for backgrounds and have a lot of it but shipping to your rock will be very expensive even in smaller amounts because of how thick the material is  - - - That one is green - not sure what colors you are looking for.

I would think any 3m or oracal engineering grade would be good - will be very very pricy but customer has to understand that is just the cost of the proper material when quoting the job.  

Mahalo. Yes, when I tell some of the customers, that reflective can start 10x the cost (to get it here), they flinch and think I'm lying. I tell them that I only have a limited amount of reflective because it's ridiculously cost prohibitive for me to tie up money in stuff people don't aren't willing to pay for.

I've been looking at the 5500 or 5700 series, but everywhere - inventory is iffy. I don't think the state laws will take into consideration that material will be difficult to source during a pandemic. I've seen other brands, and know that they are not going to pay for the more pricey stuff.

This will be an interesting next couple of weeks to see who has what, and how much it's going to cost to get to me. Keep your fingers crossed!

• Like 1