Lisali

Vinyl Express Cutter RII series

One of my friends gave me a vinyl cutter about a year ago. I tried to run it but found it wasn't working. The arm that holds the blade wasn't moving up and down. 

I contacted Sign Warehouse and told them what it was doing and they said to try replacing the main board. So I got the part from ebay, double checked everything to make sure it was the right part and installed correctly. That didn't fix it.

So next I ordered a new cutting/plotter head. After that was installed, the arm moved up and down but in reverse. It starts in the down position, then moves up to make the cuts. 

I contacted Sign Warehouse again and explained everything again and they told me to replace the ribbon that connects to the cutter/plotter head, I forget what it's called. 

I searched everywhere online and couldn't find the correct part and I don't know if it would even fix the problem. Sign Warehouse has been pretty useless. 

If you have any suggestions, ideas, or know how to fix the issue, I'd greatly appreciate it! 

Cliff it.

You're likely deep into this thing already for more than it's worth.
Used cutters that are given away because they don't work, are not usually something you want to be screwing around with. TIme is money. Loading up a parts cannon and firing blindly? No thanks. Not with a car, not with a cutter.

Trying to replace a ribbon cable sounds odd, because the head is getting juice, so what would replacing a cable, that is right now providing the power, offer in the way of benefit?

Reverse the polarity on the power wires inside the cutting head maybe? Take off the cover of that and just see how things are connected.

The cutter head (Z axis) functions with an ELECTROMAGNET (neither a servo nor a stepper motor ----  those motors are for the X and Y movements, not the Z).

• Like 1

It would be really a great thing if the solution was to switch those two wires! I guess we'll never know.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

It would be really a great thing if the solution was to switch those two wires! I guess we'll never know.

solenoid is either energised or not so not sure switching the wires would help - its either on or off, so unless it energises different than most plotters . . ..

yeah, that's true, solenoid being wired "backwards" wouldn't actually effect anything. The signal going to the solenoid is inverted, that could be driver, software, or motherboard issue.

• Like 1