Sign in to follow this  
dwp99

Tee Shirt or Decal

I've got a question for all you Tee Shirt and Decal printers.  I've been asked to take a photograph of a logo that was hand painted on the door of a truck and convert it so it can either be printed on vinyl and contour cut to make a decal or printed on tee Shirts.   I'll also ask about the file format for Screen printing on a tee shirt also, just in case that question is asked. 

What File format is the preferred  format for this procedure?   This hand painting has a lot of shading and blending of colors. 

I just do cut vinyl and know it would have to be a vector image if I were to cut it out of vinyl. 

Thanks in advance, 

Doug 

• Like 1

Hi Doug, That's more than one question, but let's see where we land.

1. The logo is going to be photographed, which produces a pixel-based graphic. (RASTER)

2. Since you are describing a full-color end result, the use of cut vinyl sounds highly improbable. (Show the logo here if you want).

3. You'll be able to obtain a high-resolution image (.jpeg or .tiff or even .pdf) and just send the raster file to be printed by a wholesale printing company. (Plastisol transfers)

A lot of images can be paired down to still produce the basic look without all the shading. You can perhaps use just a second highlight color or a shadow to get similar effect. It would help to see the logo. I have converted a couple old school logos to a more modern appearance that could be used in one, two or multiple color options. Start with the very basic lettering or design and then add some of the more complicated elements in where you can. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 1:21 PM, slice&dice said:

Hi Doug, That's more than one question, but let's see where we land.

1. The logo is going to be photographed, which produces a pixel-based graphic. (RASTER)

2. Since you are describing a full-color end result, the use of cut vinyl sounds highly improbable. (Show the logo here if you want).

3. You'll be able to obtain a high-resolution image (.jpeg or .tiff or even .pdf) and just send the raster file to be printed by a wholesale printing company. (Plastisol transfers)

Thanks Slice and Dice,  I was  wondering what file format could be used.  Whenever I do a job that needs to be printed I design in Flexi and save as an AI file to send to the printer. 

I Think the wholesale printer I use prints from AI files.  But I'm in Florida and my friend is across the country.  he'll bring the file to his print source.  

On 9/20/2020 at 1:42 PM, Wildgoose said:

A lot of images can be paired down to still produce the basic look without all the shading. You can perhaps use just a second highlight color or a shadow to get similar effect. It would help to see the logo. I have converted a couple old school logos to a more modern appearance that could be used in one, two or multiple color options. Start with the very basic lettering or design and then add some of the more complicated elements in where you can. 

Thanks Wild Goose, I won't be cutting this one in Vinyl.  It's going to be used for Tee shirts and full color decals printed on white vinyl.

Something I know very little about is screen printing, I do know that each color is applied individually and a different screen is needed for each color.  I didn't know if my friend would consider Screen Printing and just wanted to be prepared in case he asked.  I would think that Screen Printing would need a vector file.  I could pair down the colors Like you mention and see if I could make it work.

Thanks again for everyone's help.